Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some clarification on setting up a rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greensyn, Dec 15, 2002.

1. greensyn

greensyn

Sep 15, 2002
    A while ago I bought a 4x10 Avatar 8-ohm cabinet and an Ampeg SVT-3 PRO head. Didn't like the Ampeg distortion so I sold it and kept the cabinet.

Now I need a head and the more I see, the better idea it seems to buy a power amp and a preamp instead of a head.

Am I correct in thinking that a preamp + power amp = a head? This would be a great solution to my problem of more power costing more money.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A head is basically a box with a preamp and a power amp inside. It's usually more cost effective but not as flexibly in case you'd for instance like another preamp or more power.

3. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    In the sense that you're using the word, most "heads" I've come across are poweramps WITH built-in preamps (sometimes in the form of a graphic e.q., sometimes just a bunch of extra knobs for tone definition). Best bet is to find a store that's got a decent selection and play through some heads (use a similar bass to the one you own if they won't let you bring yours in), followed by whatever power/pre-amps they have set up and judge for yourself based on the tone you're looking for. If power is your only concern, all of the equipment has power ratings you can compare (just make sure it's not too powerful for the cabinet, and don't forget to factor in the 8 ohms of resistance).

4. Was the distortion from the Ampeg head due to lack of power causing it was clip, or was it the way the amp was voiced and you just didn't care for the "AMPEG SOUND"?

5. greensyn

greensyn

Sep 15, 2002
    Haha, the Ampeg sound. Didn't care for it at all, thanks for the replies, helps a lot.