Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some decision making help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voleceq, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Hey everyone. I was wondering if you all thought this was a good deal for my new amp. I am new to the bass world but the amp looks good to me. I just got a bit curious since the amp is 200watts and around 100 dollar (when I first looked at it). Any opinions are great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1463690441

2. Fender BXR's are IMHO... CRAP. There is a reason why they're so cheep. I've played one, and thought that the tone was bad, lacking lows, and i've read many bad experiances with them (Angus had one... ask him what happend to it)

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I used to have a BXR 100 back in 1995, I happend to like mine. The BXR 200 is basically the same amp, only 200 watts. Its not the best amp out there, but imo its not the worst. For the price the guy wants for it, its imo a very good buy. Its a good lil practice amp, and if you should happen to want to jam with some friends it will fill that bill as well. You can even use it at a gig if need be due to the line out feature. For the $100 the guy wants its well worth it imo.

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    The Fender BXR 200 is the one I own. I use it a few times a week. Like cassanova said, it's not the best, but I have used worst. The XLR line out is useful - I use the BXR as my monitor anyway, and plug into the mixer when I play it at church. US$112 is cheap - I bought mine a few years back for around US$400 new. It's okay for small to medium-sized gigs, but you will need to use a proper stack for larger ones. It's more than adequate to use at home, and for jams. The tone is not great - maybe you can go to a local music store and try it out with your bass.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I fell out of my chair when I tried to look at the picture :eek:
    rotate the picture 90 degrees counter clockwise please. :confused:

just kidding, as long as it works, for $112 how could you go wrong? Even if you get something better later you could always resell it for what you paid for it or use it for a practice amp.

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I used to use a Bassman on a regular basis when it was the house amp at a club I often played. While they're not great amps, they will do the job for you, and as cb56 says, you can't go wrong for that price. Having said that, I'd be a little cautious if the amp is going that cheap.