Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some elctronic help on my ATK305

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noelpaz, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I just got an ATK305. I love the sound but I have a feeling that the electronics might get out on me. What pickups would work? I have bartolini on most of my basses. I have heard of the bassculture place but that is more than what I am willing to spend. Please educate me on pickup only to current reamp -- new preamp to current pickup and new pickup and new preamp altogether. I also do not want to get into routing the bridge plate out.

Thank you. I did a search as well and did not find satisfactory amswers.

2. I really like the aguilars on Fender jazz basses so I don't know what people might think of them on the ATK's -- BTW this bass souinds better acoustically than a stingray 5

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I had pre-amp problems with mine and got the whole board from Ibanez. I've seen one or two that were hacked with other electronics. Not only did it look ghetto, but I don't think the bass sounded that good. This is one instance where I would say replace stock parts with other stock parts only. YMMV. What makes you think there's a problem ? And yes, they are a better SR5 than the one Ernie Ball makes.

4. annannienann

annannienann

Aug 7, 2004
    I cant understand what the problem is, the closest I can get is what tpye of pick ups will sound go on your bass. This is purely subjective, therefore up to you.

5. i had an atk 300 and i had no problems except the volume pot was scratchy..and i couldnt see replacing the electroincs or pickup with anything besides ibanez...that triple coil was amazing, and if you change the electronics it'd be basically a whole new instrument, cos you wouldnt have the coil tap switch would ya?...which is something i wouldnt give up on that instrument

6. I don't know much about pre-amps that would work for the fundamental sound of the bass. I talked to the tech and he said either the pickups, the pre-amp or both can be bad (I describe what the problem was over the phone), so if I need to replace it or them-- what combo would work for me. I am not really picky, but I want some impressions on people who had similar experience. I guess I'd like a similar 3 band eq -- coil tap if possible and same triple bucker pickup or humbucker with a dummy coil and would fit the bass and the bridge plate especially without routing it out. I can also do the Ibanez route but if anyone did a mod the improved the sound, I'd really be interested.

7. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    You went through a dealer for the board?

I'm having a substantial volume issue with my SR506. I run it full, and it's still quieter than my MM Stingray5 AND my SR800 when they're on half. Apparently it's "on par" with other 506's, but I just can't see that Ibz would have a whole line of basses be that quiet. Especially since they're active. I can barely use my combo amp with this bass for coffee shop jazz gigs b/c it's too quiet. My MM will blow out a window with the combo, but not the 506.

Anybody got any suggestions for this?

8. the best advice i can give on getting this bass to sound its best is to get a replacement ibanez preamp and pickup...i dont know if any other preamp will keep the coil tap on how it is now

9. Thanks heath. I'll email Ibanez. Looks like a lot of folks felt barts or seymours took away the ATK sound

10. annannienann

annannienann

Aug 7, 2004
    Mabye a silly thing but have to checked the battery, it might be going flat,

you could buy any pre-amp and it would work with your pick-up, on the most part, it is just the matter of finding a pre-amp you want, but i would go to the makers if you dont know alot about electronics.

11. do you know the preamp in question? its all one the one circuit board in the cavity, the pickup is a triple coil humbucker with a 3 way coil tap switching the pickup from 1 coil, 2 coil, 3 coil...i know of know other preamp that will react to the pickup in this way...i used to own one and all i gotta say is that the ibanez preamp and pickup is excellent..if mine had broke i would of replaced it with the same...if you could find a replacement pickup/preamp that is designed for the atk's, then you look into that....

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    It was through the dealer, althoug Ibanez did the repar. We shipped it back to them. It was brand new and had a bad pot, so I got it for a steal. To make the deal even sweeter, it was one of the US custom shop models built by Dave Bunker. The ones with the tension free necks. I ended up paying like $475 for it, I don't think the shop realized what they had at the time. Trust me, replace the stock pieces with stock pieces, and leave it alone. That bass is truely great as it sits.

PS, I believe there is a trim pot on that board that allows you to alter the gain of the pre. That's probably the issue right there. I'll check on mine when I go home tonight.

13. there is...a small white one right next to the battery...use a phillips head screwdriver to alter it

14. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Ah hah, I thought so. :hyper:

15. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    Sadly, my 506 has no pre-amp volume. So I will have to explore othr solutions. I see that my wiring is really different than the schematic I have, so that may be the problem. I'll have to take it in and get it looked at.

16. are you talking ATK or Soundgear?

17. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    It's a Soundgear.

I don't think the ATK's ever came in a 6.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we're talking pre-amp/pickup issues, I thought I'd throw my prob in too.

18. i have no ideas on the soundgear...but from what ive seen in bass player they're not on a circuit board....the ATK's are completely different...its all on a Circuit board and is probably the best thing ibanez ever released...