1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need some electronics help on a new bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Subscript, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Subscript

Subscript Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    I've recently acquired a used homemade bass with a couple of EMG pickups (PJ) that has 3 knobs, one 3 way switch and one 2 way switch. As far as I could tell when I was testing it, one knob controls neck pickup volume, one knob controls bridge pickup volume, the third controls tone and neither of the switches do anything. When I got the back open I found it to be... quite a mess. The battery is wrapped in a piece of cloth and stuck between some foam. The wiring is all pretty sketchy, there's electrical tape all over it and all the connections seem poorly soldered. Nothing is connected to the 2 way switch and three wires are connect to the 3 way switch but all on the same spot.

I've never really dealt with bass electronics before but I would really like to fix this thing up. Any advice on what I should do besides the obvious clean up it needs? Any help would be appreciated.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Assuming the EMG's are active the switches probably won't do anything. Sounds like the guy who did the previous work was clueless. However if it works now and you like the way it sounds, that's what it's about - as opposed to no sound at all.

See FAQ Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021