1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help dating a Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancedad5678, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hello Everyone - I'm helping a friend out with a bass he picked up a while back, he's a guitar player so it's been sitting in the closet for 10+ years. He was told it's a 1970 Jazz bass but I'm not sure, the neck looks in "too good of shape to be that old" kind of thing.

I'll try and load some pics but here are some observations and numbers to start with

- body is 3 tone burst, tort guard 11 hole, tug bar on the bottom below the G string
    - 4 saddle bridge with long G string intonation screw
    - Bridge cover has the sticky remains of where the foam was under the cover, pickup cover is dirty underneath but looks like a repo
    - # on pots are 032367-250K and 304-7008
    - # on pickups are bridge 9299 neck 1299 and is 3.6" spacing
    - neck pocket has 3 stamps one green circle with the #53, one green circle with the # 48 and one red circle with the #6 Looks like a thin red line under the 6 otherwise could be a 9 but the black from the burst is covering part of it
    - the neck is rear adjust truss rod, rosewood board that is bound and has block inlays, with a 1 3/8" nut, has one stamp - looks like a gold post with the #16 in it and a pencil line that could be a signature but is just a swoopy loop
    - tuners are Fender cloverleaf, no trademark, no pins underneath
    - decal is the larger Fender Jazz Bass that extends to the G string tuner
    - the "Offset Contour Body patented" is in the ball of the headstock
    - neck plate has F logo and a serial number of 281857

With the research I've done the pots are pointing to being Stackpoles, 1970, 8th week,
    The pickup spacing is the early spacing

There are no dates or stamps under the pickguard

It sort of points to 1970, but what troubles me is the neck pocket stamps and lack of stamps on the neck itself.

Any help would be great

Thanks Everyone

T

2. two more things I forgot there is a stamp on the body under the g/g that is 320#

Also, although a 3 tone burst, there is not red sprayed on the lower horn under the p/g??

Thanks again

T

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well, I am going to guess it is legit with a refin, hence the weird paint job and lack of identifying marks.

I am sure a bigger Fender nerd will tell you the facts, pics are always nice, makes it alot easier too.

4. Some pics

Attached Files:

5. A couple more

Attached Files:

6. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

dating a Jazz Bass always ends in disappointment; they're so fickle and fly-by-night.

Skybone and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  7. I know! I dated a '73 Jazz but then my wife found out and I had to stop.

Skybone and jaybones like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Jaco's basses were painted like that, too, but the one you posted does look kind of blotchy in that area. You will need a bigger sample size of photos of different basses to get a better idea, though.

http://www.rarwriter.com/JacoPastorius.htm

9. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No Red underneath the guard was standard practice, even new ones still have it sometimes. I'm by no means an expert, but it looks legit to me. A real closet beauty, very nice.

10. Its a 69.

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's a very-very early 1970.

While your pickups are dated the 29th week of 1969
    The pots are dated the 8th week of 1970. (032367 is the part number, not a date)

The sunburst body is painted there without red because nobody is supposed to see that anyway, so they didn't want to waste any more paint than needed.

Very typical to have no neck stamps in this timeframe.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    RockinRonnie likes this.
  12. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The bridge isn't from 1969, or 1970. The longer G string screw was 1972. That is, unless someone just replaced one of the intonation screws.

13. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It appears to be all original and legit. An early 1970 as Caca de Kick said. Long G bridges appeared as early as late '69/70, so that's all good too. All markings on body and neck are typical for 1970, as well as the lighter finish on the back of the neck compared to the darker headstock.

RockinRonnie likes this.
  14. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Real deal, as mentioned.

15. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    If things don't work out, can I date her?

Skybone likes this.