1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some help deciding between two 6 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waterripple, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Waterripple

Waterripple

Jul 12, 2014
    Hello TB, I am a fairly new bass player (been playing for around a year and a half) who doesn’t have much experience when it comes to bass purchases and is in need of some advice from other players.

I am on a somewhat tight budget of around $500, so my options when it comes to quality 6 strings are pretty limited. So after spending a bit of time looking at different basses and brands I have managed to find 2 basses that are in my price range and look like they are of good quality.

First is the Ibanez SR256.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr256-6-string-bass-guitar

And the second is the ESP LTD D-6 which is the one I am thinking of getting the most.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-ltd-d-6-6-string-bass-guitar

I have played a GSR206 before and despite it having a few flaws I quite liked it; and from what I understand the SR256 is essentially an upgraded version of the GSR206 and overall it seems like a very solid and versatile bass for a nice budget price. The current bass I own is also an Ibanez so I have a bit of familiarity with the brand.

On the other hand, I haven't played any of the D series ESP basses but I have play tested a few other LTD basses and so far I have loved them. Admittedly the ESP does costs just a little bit more than I would like to spend normally, but almost all of the reviews and owners I’ve seen speak very highly of it and for an extra $100 it seems like a very good investment and the best bang for my buck.

So if any owners of these could chime in on the pros and cons and overall quality of these basses it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows about any other good 6 strings for around the same price I would be happy to hear about them.

2. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I'd go with the D6, if you insist on new, but if you can go used, I'd look into an Ibanez SR 506

3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    +++ ^^^
    An older Ibanez SR506 (maple/maple/rosewood) in very good cond can be found regularly on the 'bay for 300 or so, maybe even 250.
    Very well built in the '90's in Cort factory, Korea.
    The pickups are 'P' inside humbucker actives in the later ones, some had jazz pickups before those ('94 or so).
    The 'P' inside humbuckers can be exchanged for EMG 40 series, also, if desired.
    Can't beat them for the price, IMO.

4. Waterripple

Waterripple

Jul 12, 2014
    Yeah I did quite a bit of searching on the SR506 and it looks like a very nice bass with a lot of features I would like. But the combination of the price plus the fact that there seems to be a lot of polarized opinions about the bass (seems like one of those basses where people either love it or hate) kind of drew me away from it. However, if I could buy a used SR506 in good condition for around the same price or less than the D-6 I would most likely go for the SR506; mainly for the tone since I'm a fan Ibanez's more dark, mid-tone heavy sound.

I'm not in a big hurry to get a new bass so I will probably wait around a week or two and see what kind of offers show up on ebay for a SR506. I am also going to the nearby music store this week to see what they have in their inventory both new and used.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Just don't confuse the older maple/maple/rosewood SR506 with the newer mahogany SR506- not at all similar.
    The older maple ones are not dark-sounding, but more bright and full range- active pickups and preamp, whereas the mahogany ones are darker-sounding, with passive Barts.