1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some help diagnosing a problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by damagebassist87, Mar 26, 2009.

1. damagebassist87

damagebassist87

Feb 24, 2007
    So I'm having issues with major fret buzz coming around frets 14 and 15 on pretty much all strings. The worst is fret 15 on the low E string. The action is already pretty high because I had discovered that when lowered these frets become unplayable. Looking at it when depressing these frets its clear that there is some issue with fret #16 as it appears to be hitting the depressed string and causing the buzz. Is this most likely because of an fret that is not level? I want to check with everyone before I do any work on it. Thanks

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Sounds like the problem, Is the relief on the next set right, you may nee as little as a truss rod adjustment.
    You could also take it to a local shop where they can give you a better idea by looking at it.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Too little neck relief is one possibility. It's also possible that the angle is wrong (ie, should be shimmed at the heel if it's a bolt on type). These things MUST be attacked in a logical order.

• Neck angle
    • Neck relief
    • Fret height
    • nut/saddle height

4. I had a very similar issue with frets 16 and 17: anything remotely close to low action and they became dead frets. The funny thing is that I fixed it by diminishing the relief of the neck to almost zero relief (I'm onto that technique now) and only then getting the saddles a little higher. Now is very even, still pretty pretty low action, no fret buzz. Neck relief and saddle height are very intertwined in a good set up.

5. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Adding to that is fret leveling, which should probably go first. But that's best left to the professionals. But you can check it yourself. I bet there's a sticky about that somewhere.