1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help figuring out these fast slap riffs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Gojiberry22, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    The bassist is MIYA , of the Japanese punk/jazz/hardcore band 385.

She recently recorded a quick demonstration video for two of her licks.

I'm a fairly fresh player and this might aswell be rocket science to me. Can anyone help me even begin to understand what she's doing here.

2. csc2048b

csc2048b

Apr 4, 2010
    philippines
    would love to help you but my security addons do not allow instagram videos (javascript); can you provide youtube links instead?

if you can 'sing' the line of music, you stand a chance of learning it. break down the line into rhytmic patterns: often triplets (tatatah) or sixteenth (1tatehtah-2tatehtah...). there are some non-grooving patterns that sound really complicated but hardly ever serve the 'pocket' of the song.

bear in mind that some slaplines by victor, marcus, stanley, jonas hellborg, alain caron, etc are impervious to this learning method.

3. Konza

Konza

Jun 16, 2013
    Play both videos at the same time for a real workout.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    It's funny because that's exactly what she does in demonstrating the lines. I think for the OP it's just a matter of figuring out what notes are being fretted and what notes are just being rhythmically tapped or dead-plucked instead - seeing when she slaps and pops with her right hand is pretty straightforward.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Those aren't really "her" licks. I've heard people play similar lines, and that was decades ago. There's nothing she's doing that isn't pretty "entry level" slap really. Listen closely and you'll get it.

6. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Can you convert to mp3s And use Transcribe! Or some other slow downer software? It can make it a whole easier to hear what's going on.