1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help figuring wattage that my custom cab can handle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monkeybass68, Mar 13, 2013.

1. I've got a custom made 2x10" cab that was loaded with Eminence Legend B102s (which replaced the original speakers). They're both 8 ohm & are wired parallel. According to Eminence's site, the B102 has the following power rating: Watts - 200W Music Program - 400W
    I've been going under the assumption that this is a 4 ohm - 400W cabinet. Am I correct?

2. Yes, but not really. You can't call open season on it with a 400w amp. Even my 250W could blow it up in a heartbeat. Not that it's a lousy speaker, just 4mm of xmax isn't going to set your hair on fire.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 wattage ratings are more of a general idea, rather than hard and fast numbers. Always use common sense. A 2x10 will never get super loud on it's own, and yours being a 4 ohm cab puts limitations on what amp you can use. Double up on the cab if you need more volume, and if your amp is stable to 2 ohms.. (ie: another identical 210)

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    ^that, and ^^ that.
    the way you eq plays a big part. if you smiley-face it, or at least kick in lots of low end you've still got a chance at hurting something, even with a 100 watts or less. your speaker will tell you if something hurts, you just have to listen.

5. And..................

If the cab size/porting is not properly reverse engineeered to the T/S specs of the replacement speakers, your actual power handling can alot less.

6. Ok, let me clarify. I am NOT having any problems with "overpowering" this cabinet. I use it by itself for smaller venues paired with an Ampeg PF-350. It has 2 rear ports & I am in no risk of blowing my speakers as I really don't blast it with either too much volume or too much bottom end.
    I posted this thread as more of a curiousity of how much it could handle, not because I'm overly concerned about damaging my speakers or cabinet.
    That said, thanks for all the input.

7. Unless you model the speaker in cab design software, it is hard to say exactly what the power handling is.

8. Thank you, that is actually the best answer that I've gotten so far, even if it doesn't give me the answer I was looking for. :meh:

9. Even if you had the answer you can't measure watts in use without an oscilliscope or two.

10. True enough, thanks

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Call Eminence and ask. They'll ask specific questions about the cabinet, so you'll need to know all of the dimensions, including port (if applicable).