1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help from my Cali Buddies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ElMon, May 6, 2006.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Anybody got some advice about how to go about getting an apartment in and around Los Angeles area? I'm looking specifically at areas like Burbank, Highland Park, and even North Hollywood.

I'm actually out here on some legit business, playin upright with a songwriter name JD Thomason whose nearing completion on a record deal, via legendery Hollywood man Lou Adler. All the gigs are here, and I got some money layed away, but the place is hard to nail down. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

2. A lot of people will tell you to avoid Westside Rentals, but honestly, I've found two excellent places that way, including the house where I live now. They have short-term listings, too. It's well worth the $60, and better than anything you'll find in free listings. There's always Craigslist, too, but you get what you pay for there. Better landlords like WSR because if you've subscribed to it you have a credit card, which means you have at least some credit. (In a town full of dubious transients, that means a lot.)

As far as nabes go: if you like Highland Park, you'll like Eagle Rock better. Same vibe, less gunfire. Burbank is blah, Glendale is great; I nearly got a place in Glendale before I decided to go to Palms two years back (I now live in Mar Vista). North Hollywood is beautiful in some areas and hella dicey in others.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Less gunfire is always a good thing. Too bad nothing affordable comes with no gunfire.

-Mike

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Thanks for hittin me back. Keep em comin. As long as you can return gunfire, then no problem here.:cool:

5. True--some affordable places are so far out from anything that you'll want to shoot yourself in the head for having decided to live there.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Thread spent bullet casings on fishing line as your christmas decorations.. in June...

put a sign on the door 'please break in, I'd love the chance to kill you legally'

ok.. I'm kidding...

Still...

And honestly, after living in a gunfire zone in high school? I'm rather take it in the wallet to avoid the 'duck-and-cover' on a nightly basis.

7. Violent crime really is not a legitimate fear in most of the City of Los Angeles, actually. Property crime, yes; GTAs and thefts from vehicles are rampant, and always will be as long as vehicle ownership rates are as high as they are given the city's high population density. But there really aren't all that many places you're going to get mugged or shot at. Unfortunately, a good-sized portion of Highland Park falls into that category.

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think that in any place, you just have to always be mindful of your surroundings, and realize that bad times can happen anywhere, even in a rich part of town. A healthy dose of paranoia has served me well so far in life, that and my immaculate crane-style kung-fu!!!!

Seriously though, I'm grateful for the info, and I hope to actually meet some TB'ers out here. This site's kind of like being a Mason, you always know that there's a brotherhood of the lowend in any given town in the country.

9. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    ...enroll in college.. youll get a dorm! How kool would it be just to live on a campus?

10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Been there. BA in English Literature. Tryin to play full time now.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump. Anyone need a roomate or want to have someone take over a lease?

12. There are always Mormons looking for housing around here, and I have access to a pretty decent list, but I'm not sure you'd be happy in such a situation.

What's your budget, anyway?

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Budget's looking like 500-800 a month. Guy I'm playin with out here is goin in halfseys.
    By the way, we are playing at On the Rox every monday starting this monday. Band's called JD Thompson.
    www.myspace.com/thompsonjd

14. You can get a studio in North Hollywood or Van Nuys for $800, easy. It won't be elegant living, but you won't get shot at and LAPD choppers won't hover over your block every night.

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

If you want a nice area w/ no real violence, check out Glendale... I wouldn't imagine a single room aparatment woudl be too much, my family's 3 bedroom is about 1200/mo I beleive.

16. Yeah, Glendale is great. One of the safest cities in the county, with lots of variety in terms of what's available.

Steve, $1200/month sounds awfully low for a 3BR. I know that Glendale doesn't have a rent control law anymore, either, so you guys are getting an amazing deal.

17. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Glendale. I actually went there and was impressed. What do you guys think of craigslist? Is that a viable way to go about looking for an apartment.

18. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i can vouch for craigslist. i've used it and gotten great results. just make sure you meet the people before committing to anything. obviously. i've also heard of some bad happening because of craigslist... but hey.... it's free. i've heard of bad things due to westside rentals, too.