1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some help from parents to young children about crafts!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, May 25, 2011.

1. OK, bizarre question I know but there's a reason for it.

I volunteer at a children's activity centre which every half-term does a 'family fun day' in which children can come and do various activities. One of these is an arts and crafts session which is usually related to the season that we're in- chicks and bunnies at Easter, reindeer and Santa at Christmas etc.

But this time we're doing a summer-themed fun day and we've got no idea as to what we can make or do with the arts and crafts. At Easter we did things like foam bunny-shaped egg holders, and at Christmas it was tree decorations.

SO, anyone with young children got any idea as to simple things we can make or do? We usually see children of 1-4yrs old come to this fun day so it needs to be simple. Ideally it needs to be some sort of paper/card craft too.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Lots of brown, blue, yellow and green, pink (just a wide mix of colors) construction paper. Cut out palm trees, suns, ocean scenes. Sailboats, fish, seashells, etc etc. Paste them on poster board to make summer scenes at teh seashore

3. i struggle with crafts for my son to do all the time.. drives me nuts..

lucky for me walmart has craft kits.. he just painted his own piggy bank.

a google search is always a good idea, but as relic mentioned construction paper and safety scissors can go a long way..

cut some fringes in green construction paper for grass.. suns, flowers, trees, clouds...

here just did a google search, got this one:

http://familycrafts.about.com/od/summercrafts/a/summermn.htm

idk what else is on the site, but the sun project on the front page seems pretty cool

4. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    build kites from sticks found outside.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'd take inspiration from the Australian artist "Pro Hart" and suggest the kids vomit on a piece of paper and then call it art. You could "next level" it by vomitting on an acoustic guitar, or a bass (depending on what forum you are posting on). That'd defintely be a draw.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Puppets made from paper lunch bags.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    here in America, we draw guns.
    I mean, not draw is in "draw" but "draw" as in cowboy gunfights and such. "OK kids, DRAW!" They then pull out their incredibly real-looking toy guns and proceed to shoot anyone who does not look like an American.
    It's fun.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    SOCK PUPPETS FTW!!!!!

vEUD1Lg.

9. Good idea!

Cheers, will take a look.

Might be a bit of an issue with the numbers of kids we're expecting.

Hmmmm....will try this.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  11. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    Related to this time of year, I recommend making construction paper ticks. You can attach the legs with those brass pins which allow movement and whatnot.

12. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Crafts with paper plates, construction paper and glue sticks go a long way in this age bracket.

Summer sun - cut out yellow constuction paper hands (about 7 depending on the kid's hand size), then glue them around a paper plate painted yellow. Fingers should point out to be the sun's rays. Attach google eyes with a glue stick and color in a nose and mouth with crayons.

Flowers - same concept as the sun, but use different colors. Starting at the outer edge of the plate, glue hands to the front of plate, not the back - palms facing inward. Gradually move inward and glue another row of hands. Keep making additional rows until the whole plate is filled with concentric circles of hands and the fingers make up the flower petals. You can do this with all one color or several mixed colors.

I use this website to find things to do with my grandkids who fall in that age range:

Crafts for Preschoolers and Kindergartners - EnchantedLearning.com

Have fun!

13. step 1: warm beer
    step 2: puke on kids
    step 3: ???
    step 4: profit

entertainment for hours.

14. tissue paper flowers !!!

have them draw a beach scene ... put glue where the sand would be... put sand on glue... add a shell or two also

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Teach them how to vomit in Serbian.

16. Booger sculptures!

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Force them into a praise & worship group! And if they misbehave, just show them the big knife that scared your roommate off.

18. Hey, no need for that. :spit::mad::spit:

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Jokes Fassa! Just jokes! You know what they say, what you post in the internet stays there forever!

Have the kids make Mr. Pickleheads. Its kinda like a Mr. Potato head, only you use those giant Dill pickles.

20. Hey, I still love ya! :D

And sculptures would be a good idea!