Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help identifying...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by voivode, Mar 3, 2002.

1. I got a Japanese Jazz bass copy at a pawnshop the other day. I think it's an Electra (at least somebody told me it might be), and I needs some help with it.
    The pickups are trashed, really low-output, and I need to replace them. Easy, right? Not so much. They are chrome soapbars, measuring 1 1/4 X 2 1/2. Odd size to say the least. Other than the pickups and the trrussrod adj. being at the head, the MOP block inlays and fretboard binding, this thing is a very faithful copy of a '64 J Bass. Beautiful 3-tone sunburst, tortoise pickguard...
    Anyway, my question is "where the heck do I get pickups for this thing?"
    thanks.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It DOES sound like an Electra...:) I am not sure that you will be able to find exact replacement pickups. It may require some modifications to fit some other pickups in there.
    Try this site to find some additional information.

http://www.mightymite.com/?clkd=iwm

3. Thanks, man...I never checked MightyMite before...they have some good stuff.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You might look into Dimarzio and EMG replacement pickups. IIRC, those Electra humbuckers are about the same size as guitar humbuckers, and both of these companies make bass pickups in or very near the same size.

5. Actually, they're the size of mini-humbuckers. I've been tearing my hair out trying to find 'em in this size. I haven't looked at EMG yet, tho...I don't want to go active on this bass, but....

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Bart soapbars in my Zon are about minihumbucker size. Other than that, I don't think that I have ever seen bass pickups that size. You could by regular humbuckers and enlarge the routings just a bit.

7. the routings are already freakin' huge. i would have to get another pickguard. the bridge pickup is already in a ring, I'd just have to get another one, I guess...
    Thanks for the tech info, guys...I jumped over here from the HC forum, and y'all have been very helpful. i take back anything bad I have said about talkbass.:D

8. Oops, my bad...they actually measure 1 1/4 X 2 3/4.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Without dragging out a ruler...

If they're the same size as a guitar HB (and an EMG HB), try and pick up a pair of EMG Selects out of a MusicYo Steinberger - they're passive and should drop right in.