Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some help making a decision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by __Syxx__, May 31, 2001.

1. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    Hi, I'm looking into buying a 5 string bass in the near future and I'm not sure if i should get the Ibanez SR405 or the SR305DX. I worked it out to be around $155 (Australian) difference between the two. Now the SR405 has a light Amercian maple body, diecast bridge and an SR5 neck, where as the SR305DX doesn't. So do you guys think that it would worth my while to spend the extra $155 or so and get those three extra things. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

And also what are you thoughts on those two basses?

Thanks.

2. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    hello? anyone?

3. Get that 405, the 305 sucks ass, it really does. Also, I believe the 305 has P/J pickups and cheap-ass chrome hardware, whereas the 405 has soapbars (which suck, nonetheless) and black hardware.

One tip:

forget the SR series and go look for a BTB.

4. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    Hey thanks

i know about the BTB's but they are way too expensive for my budget.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Even their low-priced BTB405? Too bad you're from Oz... if you were in the US, I'd suggest you'd consider grabbing this one:

http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/ibanez_btb405qmtb_5_st.htm

Robin: Not only the 305, ALL Soundgears suck ass! You forgot to point that out explicitly. :D

6. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    No! It's mine now anyways, muahaha :)

(It's gunna get here Thursday or Friday ;))

7. It amazes me how many people can buy SR's and expect quality. Im sorry, but Ibanez makes some of the ugliest basses, although a few models are nice. And that new model with the piezo! That has to be THE ugliest bass ever, it puts the warlock to shame on the uglyometer. I dont see how anyone could buy that bass. This is all IMHO BTW.

8. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I know what you mean, I've played a lot of SR's before, and while their oiled mahogony models look nice, they all sound muddy and undefined.

9. My friend bought the cheapest model in the PJ variety, and my god, it sounds as weak as my MIM does acoustically. Not only that, the noise was unbearable, and all three pots were very scratchy and the tone knob would not stop turning, it would just reset itself, it was so weird.

10. I own an SR 405, and it's great. but I've played a 305 and it was ****, there is a definate quality jump between the two. even though the 405 isn't really a top of the range bass it is great value for money. I think they are worth like $800 new these day's. which is awesome for what you are getting.
    I'm from Aus too. where about do you live, in a band?

11. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    I'm bandless and live in Brisbane

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha BBN5 should be in your pricerange, they are much better than Ibanez SRs IMO.

13. I picked up a used '97 SR885 at auction and was rather disappointed. Outside of smelling like it spent three years under the Bar at the VFW club, it was in good shape for a well-used instrument. I am a realitivly new player, and this was my first 5, so take the following with a grain of salt.

Good stuff--
    Finish/fit were of good quality. I loved the metallic green finish on the body, but that glossy neck felt stickey. I much prefer the satin type finish.

The pickups (Dynamix soapbar active) and preamp sounded good to me, and the preamp was quiet.

Good acoustic tone on the top four strings.

Not so good stuff--
    The major turnoff was the 34" scale length. Yes, the strings were tired, but that B was so floppy and rubbery, I thought it may have come off one of Ed Friedland's Ashbory bass ;^)

The control cavity/preamp wiring was a mess- preamp circuit board wrapped in a thin sheet of foam and stuffed under the cover atop a wad of disorganized wiring, and a loose 9v battery wrapped in a bit of foam. This is a very poor design, just waiting to give you problems-ie: pulling a wire loose while installing a new battery 5 minutes before showtime.

Value--
    I'm not here to dis Ibanez, but this just is not a $700-$900 (USD) piece of equipment. At auction , I paid $405 and the 885 would be of satisfactory value if it had been virtually new, but the street price of a new 885 is $150 too high at best. I believe this holds true for the entire line. These are not at all bad instruments, just priced too proud to be a solid value for the $.

In the end, I returned the bass for a refund and purchased a Korean made Dean Edge Q5 for $420 USD- New in the box. The Dean has better acoustic tone on all 5 strings, the 35" scale makes that B feel less sloppy, the electronics and cavity wiring are reasonably executed and for me, the satin-finish neck works much better. (NCI!!) On the downside, The EMG Hz pickups sound a bit brittle for my taste. As expected, the inexpensive preamp is a bit hissy, but useable (a bypass would be nice).
    Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Q5's value when compaired to the used SR885, and it will suffice nicely until I can afford that Dingwall Voodoo 5!
    Just my .02, and yes, YMMV.
    Russ-New member and TBL refugee

14. If you have $800 to spend, you have a lot better options then Ibanez. You can definately get a new American Fender, and most likely an American Deluxe. Used Stingrays can also be had at this range.