Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help naming a string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MichaelScott, Dec 10, 2004.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I was in my local music shop today and I grabbed a dusty Ibanez off of the rack and started to thump on it.

The bass sounded very nice and I noticed that the strings were very odd- they were round wound but it looked like one strand was nickel and the other was dark-green in color (nylon? Or colored steel?).

The gauge was pretty thick and I asked the sales person what kind of strings they were and he had no clue.

Any ideas?

2. Nylon maybe? What did it sound like?

3. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    phat.

I was a hair away from buying the bass. It was an Ibanez BTB and had been reduced to $600- The only problem I had with it was the neck finish- was very very sticky.

I am guessing the strings were nickel/nylon wound. I have just never heard of a brand that does it. The strings had a nice boom and none of the metal zing that normal new strings had.

4. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The Ibanez BTB comes from the factory with those stings on them. I thought they look and sound very cool. They must be Ibanez strings but I have never seen them for sale anywhere.

5. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Major bummer.