Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help on 2 old Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Hello people - can I have any opinions or comparisons on the following two models;
    Fender Precision Special (1 pickup 80's US model, not the recent two pickup MIM)
    Fender Prophecy III

Want both - can only afford one 1!Usual story!
    Thankyou for any help you can give me.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own the 80's precision special in walnut. It it an passive/active bass, fenders first attemp at active bass. My bass is a tad heavy but so is the sound! in active mode with the treble cranked it can be harsh, with the bass cranked it will be smooth or boomy depending on where you play. It is by far the bass between the two I would pick if it was all original without modification. The prophecy bass you speak of is one of those basses that never caught on is seldom used for what ever reason, resale value is probably nil at best. I would say play both if possible and make a decision, I would go with the special bass giving the prophecy bass no consideration. Ymmv.

3. Thanks man thats what I thought.No way of me checking basses first as I live in Australia!
    Any other opinions?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Is the p-bass special 100% stock without modifications? If so go for it! If you don't like it you can still get back at least what you got it for, with the other bass if you don't like it you will probably be stuck with it! :(

5. if you at all like the band mastadon their bassits uses a fender prohecy 2. so if u in any case wanted the bass he has. thats the one.

6. Dont have my eye on anything in particular but Im assuming the bass I buy will be 100% stock.There is a guy on the Harmnoy Central classifieds site with one for sale but he isnt answering my emails so he may have sold it.There was one at the Bass Palace til recently but sold before I had the cash!
    BTW whats fair for either.Can get a Prophecy III for $350US and Precision Specials I have seen go for anything between $300 and $800 US.
    Have thought of one more model Im eyeing off - a Precision Elite II.Thoughts?Prices?I think I like the ones with maple fretboards that seem to be a bit rare.

7. Anyone?

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    The Elites are good basses. I've played a couple of the walnut/gold ones and been pretty impressed. The collectability of Elites makes 'em a good investment. Especially if they have the original cases.

What kind of sound are you going for? What are you in to?

9. Dont really like to be pidgeonholed man but my fave player is Steve Harris of Iron Maiden.I generally go for modern basses and my main bass at the moment is an Ibanez AFR105 Custom Shop(ultra modern) but I wanted something that would look vintage and possibly do both vintage AND modern tones.The only other model I was interested in was a Precision Deluxe 5 as I usually go for 5ers.