Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help on a 5'er !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Hey, this is my first post here.. Been playing 4 stringers all my 3 years of playing bass, and now want to make a purchase on a Fiver. I figuered no better people to ask than fellow bassers (the best people in the world.. heh) Anyway, I'm influenced by Jam Bands like Dave Matthews Band, Fish, and Bela Fleck.

I dont really NEED a good slap bass, what I NEED is a great slide bass, that feels like butter and is smooth. My Budget right now is under $1000. So what kind of Suggestions do you have? If Mars hadn't shut down recently I would have bought a Modululs Quantum 5, but since then I have limited funds, and no where around me carries Modulus anyway.

Thanks, ~AJ

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    BD18 -

Where in FL are you?? If you're not too far from Orlando, I strongly suggest you visit this little shop I know about, they have quite a selection of very nice basses (including Modulus) that will fit in your budget...

;)

....see my signature for more....

:D

3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If you're in FL, you must go to Bass Central.

MUST

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's right. I live 2 hours away from BC, but I still make a trip up there every few months. It's like...graceland. Or something.

It's reaaaaaalllllly cool.

5. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    I've dealt with BC through the mail. They have treated me well.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    as have i...a bunch of first rate guys. gard works there...i'm sure he can hook you up. ;)

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Gard, I just e-mailed the store asking about the Quantum, that was before I caught on that you worked there. Heh, thanks for pointing out your store, maybe I'll make a trip up there before school starts again.. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, 4 hour drive to visit the "graceland" of basses seems like its worth it.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's worth it. WAY worth it. Just make sure you can spend 5+ hours there on a first run. It's a little overwhelming at first...