1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEED SOME HELP ON A SYNTH PEDAL

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coops!JB, Jul 25, 2012.

1. coops!JB

coops!JB

Jul 18, 2008
    im looking into bass synthesizer pedals, but the ones that im looking at, to me sound a bit squiffy (boss bass synth) and just doesnt seem like anything i would use in my band.

i know that the synth sound in kings of leon - closer, isnt a pedal, but thats sound that i am after.

any help or recommendations would be mint!

2. I've done some research for products and what I've found are:
    Akai SB1 Deep Impact (discontinued but lots of raving but lots of $ req'd)
    Markbass Super Synth ($280) - lots of good comments
    Ibanez SB7
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah
    Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth ($250+)
    Behringer BSY600 - Boss copy but with different wave forms available
    Korg G5
    Zoom B2
    This listing is not extensive but may be a good starting point.

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    There's always the Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer.

I also really like the Korg G5.

Most bass synths aren't gonna give you that sound from the video...I assume you mean the opening synth sound...I didn't listen to the whole song. Maybe the Eventide Pitchfactor?

4. The MarkBass Super Synth does not cost $350.

5. I really dig the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. It's not as extreme as some of the others out there. It's perfect for me. I also have the behringer bys 600. Great pedal as well but your gonna wanna have a compressor or something to boost your signal before it. Keep in mind I play in a post-hardcore punk band. So when I use anything besides fuzz the rest of the band looks at me like " there he goes again" . The markbass synth is great. I owned it for a few weeks. The octave section is not great but the synth sounds are pretty cool, but extreme.

6. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Bass synths are pretty extreme compared to the clip you posted.

8. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  9. Interesting that he uses an ME-50 and not the ME-50B on bass.

Lame Plug Warning: I have an ME-50 effect unit for sale in the "Others Not Bass Related" section.

10. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Oooof. Just watched the second video. Reverb it is.

11. I thought it was delay too.

12. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    That synth sound form the first video, as specified by the OP, and not the actual bass?

The Korg Pandora PX5D will get there.

There's one of the presets (Spaced, maybe?) which has a higher "X-Files" lead voice sound. Jack the compression, use the synth from that (but set the octave to where you want it), change your mod to tremolo, and back off on the reverb.

You'll slide up to do the octaves, so you'll set your portamento to taste on the synth.

It's not a pedal, but if you're okay with running cables which are a little longer, and using a footswitch to step through the 99 user presets while keeping it on a mic stand, it's an amazingly capable synth/drive unit for live use. I use it as a secret synth weapon.

I highly recommend using the PC editor, instead of the "front panel" buttons.

Good luck!

13. Just finished playing around on my ME-50 and can get that exact sound with very little tweaking, but must sell it to raise funds for a Wonderlove.

14. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I was thinking about this, and realize that a tremolo along with an octave-shifting pedal (Whammy, Boss ME-50B, Zoom B3, etc.) can do that same slide/octave thing with less effort.

You probably have heard that octave sliding solo from Rage against the Machine's "Killing in the Name of." Slap a tremolo on that, and you're there.

15. coops!JB

coops!JB

Jul 18, 2008
    nice one for all the comments...rite...time to go shopping

16. If you don't want to buy the multi you could just get a reverb and pitch shifter. The boss PS-6 is a really fun pedal and it will do that sound no problem. I can't make any reverb recommendations because I've never used one. He is using a Boss multi though so maybe a Boss reverb? I can get that sound with the PS-6 and my delay pedal. Good luck.