Need some help picking out some cabinets for my newly acquired head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mears, Nov 28, 2004.

1. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Ok, I just picked up a Music Man HD150 Reverb

It's a two channel hybrid - 150W rms.

My goal is to possibly get a setup that would work for both bass and guitar playing. Is this even possible?

My dad had this amps predecessor, the HD130 (130W) that he used to drive two cabinets, each consisting of a 15" EV driver.

Would it be possible to drive a cabinet with a 15" on one channel and then another cabinet with 2-4 12"s that could be used for both guitar and bass playing, or would I be better off with independent setups?

I guess the answer to that really drives what I need. In an ideal world, I would pick up a couple music man cabs with electro-voice drivers, but they aren't exactly easy to find anymore.

I've been looking at Avatar speakers, but it seems like the drivers in their bass cabinets might not be efficient enough for my amp. I'd also like the cabinets to have a silver or black tolex grill, but I can manage w/o if necessary.

So in summary:
    I have 150watts RMS across two channels
    I'm looking for a setup that can work for both bass and guitar

Thanks for any and all help
  2. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Avatar makes speakers and cabs for both applications. The speakers they use in thier cabs are Eminance speakers. I would reccomend Avatar cabs to anyone...mainly because of
    1. the speakers they use
    2. the price
    what do you mean they aren't efficient enough?
  3. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Well, it looks like all the the drivers are 600W RMS. While I realize that a high power handling doesn't necessarily translate into poor efficiency, that seems to be the trend I've noticed.

Also, I know they make both guitar and bass cabs, but would it be possible to drive a guitar cab off of one channel and a bass cab off the other so that all I need to do when switching instruments is to change the input.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I can assure their speakers and cabs are very efficient. I use a 410 with a 200 watt tube head and it's LOUD even when I'm not pushing the head at all.
  5. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    What would it sound like if I used one of their G212H (60W RMS) on one channel (slightly overpowered) and then one of the 15" bass cabs on another channel?

Or should I just get a dedicated setup for guitar and bass. This would probably be the most expensive because I'd need 2 G212Hs and then a multiple driver bass cab because I can't be wasting watts :)
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well my answer is probably too predictable but based upon experience. go check out Bag End 1x12 or 2x12 cabinets which sound great for guitar and bass (not the ones with the "red rock" speaker, those are specifically for guitar, although they can sound pretty good for bass to, but are only 75 watt drivers as opposed to 200 watt drivers.) Bag End 1x15 cabs also sound good for guitar too depending upon application. I've used my 1x12 and/or 1x15 for both
  7. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Actually, I think it would work. I used to have a Fender Bassman 50 from the 70's and it had 2 separate inputs. Back in the day when I was in a "garage band", we used 1 input for my bass and the other for the PA. So personally, I think it would work, but I could be wrong. But I would say go for it. But then again, it being a bass amplifier, I'm not sure how it would sound on the guitar cabinet...but I'm pretty sure it will power both cabs seperately.
  8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    As far as a cabinet recommendation - a Schroeder would be sweet if you could fit one in your budget. You do have two channels but they both feed the same amp. It is mono, not stereo, so you wouldn't be able to do the channel/speaker switching, sorry :crying:
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah that is a two channel as in two seperate preamp channels NOT two seperate power amps.
  10. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    I may not have been clear originally. I was hoping to drive both a guitar cabinet and a bass cabinet at the same time.

So when I play the bass, I'm playing through the guitar and bass cab and when I play the guitar, I'm playing through the guitar and bass cab.
  11. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Well, I emailed them and unfortunately they don't offer any tolex bass cabs with a silver fiber grill, only metal. Personally, I think metal grills are a little tacky. I think I may go with them for a 4x12 cab for guitar, so now I just need to find a black tolex/silver fiber grill bass cab (that isn't too expensive).
  12. wish

Nov 28, 2004
    Augusta, Ga.
    You didn't mention if you were going to be playing live at a gig, or jamming with your friends. In my experience, if you run that head to power both a bass and guitar, the cab's not gonna blow, but your amp will. Peace, and good luck!