Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help picking

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, May 29, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I feel the urge for a new bass, Im playing an ibanez artcore right now, and its a really great bass, it sounds good and all, but the body of it is so huge and its hard to move around while playing.

So the options are a musicman SUB or Stingray, Ibanez SRX400, Rickenbacker 4003, thats probably it, fenders are ok but im trying not to join that crowd. Nothing wrong with people who play fenders or their products, My brother has one and I dont find it for me is all.

The way I play, sound or whatever, is that treble growly sound. I play with a pick, im looking into slap and finger picking for fun on the side, but I'll always record and play live with a pick. Strings I use are ernie ball...hmmm I think thats about as detailed as I can get.

So help me out.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a perfect candidate for a Musicman Stingray or Musicman Sterling.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I like the Musicman Sub and think is pretty underrated. Might be worth a try.....

4. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    well I like the music mans appearence best, the rick is a close number 2, but the only other concern I have is if I actually buy the musicman, are there anyways I can preserve it, becuase I somehow always find scratch's and dents in all my ibanez. And I have not dropped it or seen anything done to it.

I know pick sratch's are just gonna happen, and Im fine with that, but big scratch's and dents im not ok with, so are there any techniques (wow im a loser) for keeping my new bass dent free?

And lets say I get a dent, is there anyway to fix it?

5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think that most dents are caused by accident. I don't own a Musicman but I know they are made like a rock. I think a new bass is like a new car....you baby it as much as you can but eventually you'll get it dented.....might be big or small but it will happen. Short of locking the bass away in a case forever (which isn't much fun), don't worry about denting your bass. Play it, enjoy it but don't leave it lying around. A 10 dollar guitar stand goes along way towards preventing those wall to floor freefalls!

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hmm alright I think thats what I'll do than, just live with it if it happens. Alright thanks alot guys im pretty sure im going with musicman, but im still unsure if I wanna go with the SUB or stingray, my local store has both, I've played both, the only issue I had with the SUB was the action was really really high, once thats evened out, and besides paint and pickguard, is there any real diffrence between the two?

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Since I own neither I can't comment on which plays or sounds better. That is really something for you to decide.
    I would suggest checking out the review sites like harmonycentral.com to see how owners rate them. I do know that Musicman owners seem to be very loyal to their brand, which in itself is a good sign. Also do a search on talkbass for sub4 and sterling threads. I am sure you will get alot of information there.

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well when I played the two at the store, the only real diffrence was that the SUB had this thick, textured, plaster almost feeling paint on it, and the neck was painted black, the input was located on the front. ( im answering my question aren't I ) and yeah so thats it really. Hmmm decisions to make...The Sub wouldn't get dented easily, but the stingray is just alot nicer finish wise, its so tough.

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The Sub scored marginally higher than the Sterling on Harmony Central reviews while the opposite was true on Musiciansend website. According to the HC reviews, the finish on the Sub can take alot of abuse and still come out looking decent. At the end of the day, you have decide whether or not the Sterling is worth the extra 500 bucks or not....... Either way they are great basses.

10. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yes thats true about the SUB, the textured paint feels like plaster almost, its not glossly or anything. So thats something that would be good for me.

I do have a question about the rick though, how big is the body on that, I'd play one but no one stocks them around me. Is it the size of my Artcore Ibanez? Im still considering getting the rick for a unique sound and look. I dont know yet.

Edit: Can someone compare the body size of the rick to a musicman stingray or SUB, Fender P or J - Bass.

11. Atomic-Hedgehog

Atomic-Hedgehog

Dec 9, 2004
    i'd pick the Stingray myself... (being biased because of owning one) the tone is great, it's built like a tank and the active EQ lets you dial in the sound you like...

as for the size of the Ric, it is just about the same size as a P-Bass, exept the oddly shaped horns make it seem a little bigger.

12. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Alright so it looks like I've got some picking to do, I really want to go find a rickenbacker to play it and compare it to the musicman, but I dont think anyone has them locally, I might have to go to the city when I get the money and go shopping.

Anyone know how big music stores in NYC? If so can you give me an adress.

13. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i tried the stingray and the sterling....even though the sterling is supposed to have more sound options because of the series/parallel switch i found that it still didn't sound as good as the stingray to me....that's just me though...i like the stingray sound...i'd go with a stingray....well actually i've already gone with a stingray...but if i were you i'd go with a stingray

14. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hmpf....I dont know if I'll ever make up my mind, let me update the options. They're now....

1. Rickenbacker Jetglo finish
    (I heard the paint chips on it)
    2. Musicman Stingray
    3. Schector CV-4 (mm at bridge and Jazz and neck)

And I plan on eventually (keep in mind that word becuase of what im about to say) Getting all of them, but I only want one bass that I'll use for recording, on stage, practice, travel, etc... so if it does get dented I dont sacrafice all my basses only one. And thats why im thinking that bass shuold be the schector becuase its got the musicman pickup and a jazz one, (can't hurt to have more than what I want) and the cost is 560 dollars as opposed to 1000-1200 dollars. Is this normal or am I just paranoid/have to much time on my hands?

thanks for your patience
    sean