1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need some help setting up...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yeggi, Nov 10, 2010.

1. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    so i found this old damien omen-6 at my friends house, and i kinda.... well ended up with it ;) im trying to set it up and i put XL nickel wound reg light gauge strings on it. ive adjusted the truss rod nicley and started on the bridge. but for some odd reason no matter how high i raise the action the strings still touch the 1st fet and i have massive buzz just strumming the string, not even fretting. can anyone help? thanks

2. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    sounds like the nut groove(s) are too deep. You might be able to shim the nut up a bit.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    After "adjusting the truss rod nicely", did you end up with a slight bow in the neck or is it flat?

4. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    its flat, maybe i should bow it outward, i stopped the buzz by raising the bridge up very high. and now the 1st fret barely has clearance and past the 12th fret its very high. bow outward is my problem?

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Flat won't work, you need a little bow.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Buzzing on the first fret has nothing to do with the truss rod or the bridge. The nut is too low. Shim it.

7. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    ^ This.

8. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    or the neck is warped. is the neck completely flat, or does it curve up at the first fret? adding some relief back to the neck would help if this is the case, unless it's real bad, in which case you're hosed.

but, yeah, might also be the nut. +1 on the shimming.

9. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    take it off and put something under it?