Need some help with a decision, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirtrider, Jun 18, 2003.

1. After lurking for about two weeks to get some info, I'm now ready to take the plunge.

Some quick background info. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years. All the bands I've been in, I've played guitar. I've been asked to play the bass and I'm pretty stoked about it. Back then, finding a guitar amp was easy. I've had a Carvin half-stack for years. Looking at all the bass options, it's rather daunting. Anyways, I'm at a complete loss. Bass amps are more diverse than guitar amps are, IMO.

Anyways, here's what I'm considering. Hopefully one of you will let me know what they think is the best of the bunch. Oh, and the band I'm in is very Foo Fighter-ish/Sunny Day Real Estate.

So here are my choices. A used Ampeg B5R with SVT 2x10 and SVT 1x15 Classics for $850, (Maybe...this guy hasn't returned my call :mad: ) new, still in box GK 1001RB for $400 or a used SWR SM400 for $400. I would probably pair the GK or the SWR with an Avatar 4x10.

So there you have it. What do you think? I appreciate your time and thank you in advance.
  2. Out of those 3 amps I'll get the Gk dude. They are loud and sound very good. And the price is very good.