1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help with a wattage question,etc.!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JZoombass1, Apr 24, 2006.

1. JZoombass1

JZoombass1

Apr 21, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has connected a custom "home-made"
    cabinet to their bass head along with another more "present day" pro cabinet? And would this be a risky move to go about in a "live" situation in terms of a possible power failure to either one or both of the cabinets or the bass head for that matter?

To be "equipment precise", this is what I have at the moment and what I'm hoping I can get without a problem:

1. I presently have a GK 400RB head.
    2. I presently have an Altec Lansing 12" home-made cabinet--(with no tweeter, though I can install one later if I choose).
    3. I presently want to get another 12" cabinet to at least "somewhat" match up to mine for the time being, before I can pair up whichever new cabinet I opt to get--(i.e. the Eden D112XLT, Epifani UL 112, Avatar SB112,etc.) and have two of those in the long run--(keeping my Altec as a spare).

The main point is, do I have to be concerned with blowing my Altec Speaker if I'm pairing it up to another more high calibre cabinet like the Eden for example? Would I actually be better off getting something with "less" wattage at this point?--(i.e. 250 watts rather than 400 watts). And since I'm using a GK 400RB anyway, wouldn't it be best to go for a medium powered wattage cab? The bottom line is probably: What would be the loudest and most portable 12" cabinet that I can use in a rock band situation that could go nicely with the GK 400RB head and not "tower" over my Altec without causing any wattage problems? Or am I being too concerned in this case?

Any help would be appreciated in that I need to purchase something soon!-:ninja:

Thanks,
    -JZoom :bassist:

2. Start by checking the FAQ at the top of this forum. Look for information about ohms and impedance.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

+1 You need to familurize yourself with some of the basics in the FAQs first. The wattage rating on your cabs are loosly what they can handle. The ohms rating is the load the amp "sees" and is critical to know when combining cabs to make sure the rating isn't too low for the amp (think of ohms as restricting the current flow, the more ohms, the less flow. Too much flow...KABLOOOOOWEEE!)

4. JZoombass1

JZoombass1

Apr 21, 2006
    Will do. Some of us bassplayers aren't the most "tech" oriented or bound, and so a couple of recommendations--(or confirmations of some cabs I brought up, an answer to my "less wattage" question,etc.) might be nice, but since there seems to have been ALOT of info. that's recently rolled into Talkbass.com--(even in the passed few days..) I think I'll probably have enough to work with either way...

Thanks for responding fellows--(and "too much" flow?......perhaps it's good then that my GK head says 4 ohms rather than 8..........;))

Enjoy.
    JZoom :bassist: