1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some help with bass tuning.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by davidtal, Apr 3, 2013.

1. davidtal

davidtal

Apr 3, 2013
    Winnipeg,MB
    Hi guys.Im just learning to play bass,and I also play guitar and sing.Im shopping for a bass guitar and im trying to decide if I should go for a 5 strings bass or I can make it with a 4-stringer b/c my guitar is tuned to a lower D (1 tone down) b/c it's easier for me to sing,so my question is,if I play song in key of E on down tuned guitar,what are my options to record a bass? Should I play bass in regular tuning in the key of D,or should I just detune my bass? If I use the EADG in key of D will it sound deep enough with a downtuned guitar? Please advise.

2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    It will sound fine. 99.9% of bass parts have been recorded that way because most players generally use standard tuning.

There is also a "drop D" tuning you can experiment with. Standard tuning with the low E dropped to a D.

3. davidtal

davidtal

Apr 3, 2013
    Winnipeg,MB
    ElectroVibe,thanks for your reply!
    I think I've got it!

4. Not going to get into your dropped D 6 string guitar as I normally ignore all the special tunnings and capo stuff the 6 string guitar guys do and just ask; "OK fine, what key is the music to be played in.". Now to your question about the 4 or 5 string.

What the 5 string gives you is the B string, i.e. one more low string, which comes in handy if you play from standard notation "piano music". Why? Piano music will of course be in standard notation and a lot of the times the ledger notes go lower than your E string --- so with those lower ledger notes, if you have a 4 string, you have to mentally move everything up an octave to catch those low notes- which I hate to do - but, with a 5 string you just catch those low ledger notes on your B string.

Long story short. If you do not think you will be playing from piano sheet music, the 4 string will be fine. Plus most of the patterns you find in the "How To Play" books and on the Internet will be for the 4 string.

Understand I'm a four string guy. Hopefully some 5 string guys will jump on this.

5. davidtal

davidtal

Apr 3, 2013
    Winnipeg,MB
    Thanks MalcolmAmos,for making things clear.I'm not going to play music from a sheet,so I don't really need that B string,b/c I've transposed some songs that I play in lower D to standard tuning on bass and it sounds just right,so I think I've got it. Thank you guys for your replies,that helped me a lot!