Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some help with this one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dead helix, Feb 12, 2003.

1. dead helix

dead helix

Feb 12, 2003
    pa,usa
    hello everyone. i need some help on this one. i am fairly new to the bass world. let me know if any of these deals are good. thanks

crate exh200 head w/ 4x10cab $579

ampeg b2r head $399
    ampeg 4x10 cab 449
    total package $850

if any of these 2 are any good which one would you pick? thanks for any help you all can supply

2. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    Ampeg all the way, the ampeg would mow the crate down tone and power wise, It's my opinion to stay away from crate whenever possible, and if you have the money for the ampeg go forthe better rig, you do get what you pay for, I learned my lesson by buying cheap stuff, and replacing it with better stuff, now I try to buy more than I need for my current situation, or at least something that I can upgrade fairly easily without really having to replace things completely

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Being new to the bass scene I would invest in a good combo amp.
    However if you are set on one of the above setup's I'd definately go with the Ampeg. They are to bass amplification what Fender is to basses. It will serve you well and when you decide to either upgrade or quit playing you'll have an Ampeg rig that will serve as an excellent practice/small gig-rig or hold the resale value better than most stuff out there. Long story short..go with the Ampeg.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I agree, but if you have the money (and your heart set on) the Ampeg, go for it.