Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help with Upright Measurements

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by rllefebv, Dec 1, 2000.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Folks,

I am building a bass for my son for Christmas and took the opportunity to buy some extra wood to make myself an Electric Upright, (Just told my wife about the advantages of buying wood in quantity...she fell for it!!!)...

I'm a bit at a loss for dimensions...The only upright that I've ever played had a scale length of 41.5" so I'm comfortable going with that. The ones that are holding me up are neck and fingerboard dimensions. If anyone can provide me with the following, (taken from your own basses, or your favorite if you have more than one), I would greatly appreciate it...

Width and depth of neck at the nut:
    Width and depth of neck at the body join:
    Width fingerboard at the end of the fingerboard:
    Total length of fingerboard:
    String spacing at both the nut and bridge:

I know this is alot to ask, but it will really help. Another thing is the radius of the fingerboard...The one I played had a compound radius, (Flatter towards the nut, growing more pronounced towards the bridge). Is this 'normal'?? The owner of the bass led me to believe that this was somewhat unique with uprights, though I have heard of it with electrics. Regardless, I was not crazy about the feel, and at any rate, I no longer have access to this bass to take measurements.

Thanks in advance for the help,
    -robert

2. This definitely needs to be in the Double Bass section.

Close your eyes and click your heels three times...

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Thanks Hambone

-robert