1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need some help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xXMikeHellXx, Feb 15, 2016.

1. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    Hey guys I realize this is the BG side but I've got nothing over on the DB side so I just thought maybe I can get lucky and get some help from of you guys over here maybe some that play DB as well. Here is what I posted over there.

"Hey guys I need some opinions/feed back. I'm looking into getting a new rig and have a couple amps I'm looking into but don't really know which way to go. I recently tried out the gk rb700-ii paired with a ampeg 410 classic (the local GC didn't have the gk neo cabs in store). I dig the head but am still very curious as to what it would sound like with the 410 neo cabs. I like the gk sound which has me wondering about the mb series as well (fusion series). I'm also very interested in the aguilar th500 and sl 112s (saw that soon the sl 410x will be releasing, also interested in) but there is no where in close distance to even try them out."

"I would be trying to keep up with a vintage 80's marshall jcm 800 lead series with the matching 412 cab and a punk rockish skin beater of a drummer lol. Not sure wich way to go the light weight stuff is appealing due to a back injury but I'm still open to suggestions. Look forward to some feedback/suggestions. Thanks in advance"

2. I would suggest changing the thread title to match the information you're looking for. Sometimes people don't click on a "need help" thread, because there's just too many of them & if someone spots something they know about in the title, they'll be more inclined to click on it.

3. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks for the tip

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Nearly any 410 fires mids at your knees just like your guitarist's 412 ice picks you when you are out in front of it. Barefaced are a noteable exception with their low pass on one side arrangements. Their website has a very good tech section which explains the physics far better than I can.

100w Marshalls ought not be allowed as they are really bass amps repurposed to enable gui****s to obliterate bass, drums and vocals. The 50w ones are bad enough and guess what they were for?

xXMikeHellXx likes this.
  5. @Chef Plays both EB and DB. I don't think the NEO410 would be wise, they are low end "heavy" and could see a real feedback problem possible. The NEO212 II cabs however are very balanced in sound and from what I have heard work very well with DB.

xXMikeHellXx likes this.
  6. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I saw your thread over there, wanted to comment, but it can get a bit exclusive on the DB side.
    I double, (play both upright and electric at the same gigs through the same rig) and to me, I couldn't really ask for more out of a rig than what I have, in a few different ways.

So, what's your budget? And what would be an option to buy without trying first?
    What pickups/pre are you using?

7. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks for that. Someone had suggested a 410 to me which is why I had asked about them but if a 212 is the better/safer route at least I know now.

B-string likes this.
  8. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    Budget would be at least $1,200-$1,800 and as far as the option to buy without trying would be between the gk mb fusion 500 and the Aguilar tone hammer 500 for heads and gk neo cabs or aguilar sl cabs being that no store anywhere near has any of those. My blast cult one4five has the channel blaster 2 pick up and preamp system.

9. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    In my experience, I started out with a (VERY LOUD)115 and was having feedback issues. Through some trial and error I've ended up with a rig I can get quite loud with, Ive even carried full rock band (with upright) outdoor gigs with my rig alone.

Since it looks like you're all set on the pickup/pre, (nicer stuff than I've got). The GK stuff I've used for upright works, but I've got to dial the bass back to around 8 or 9 o'clock. Something more transparent might suit a bit better.

I've seen lots of rockabilly guys that use 410s, but I'm just not a fan of 410s, for a few reasons so I looked for other options. The more conventional commercially available cabs with tweeters I tried weren't doing it for me. Be it a lacking mids, or not enough volume before feedback.

The rig I ended up with was a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2, (some brand loyalty there) and a pair of Baer ML112s. (The old ones)

I believe there is a built in HPF in the shuttle, but the sweepable mid EQ I find very useful. Boost the mid, find the trouble frequency, then cut to taste and need depending on volume.

I couldn't tell you what exactly does it, but the cabs seem to help avoid feedback as well, while offering superior mids, which helps keep volume reasonable, which again helps with feedback. The ML112s are somewhat narrow, and deeper. I'm curious if the smaller frontal surface area (vs say a 410) helps bust feedback?

Best part, when I switch to electric, this rig is no slouch.
    A couple button presses, skip pre, readjust volume and go. Less than 30 seconds if I'm ready.

You could probably pick up a similar used rig, maybe here on TB, within your budget.
    I bought new, a couple years ago and barely spent more.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    xXMikeHellXx likes this.
  10. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    I've read alot of good things about genz benz on here but have never really thought about it because I know that line is discontinued but used is an option. I just get kinda weird about buying used gear sometimes I've had some bad experiences in the past haha. I was also considering a 2 12 option as well. Thanks for the good feedback

11. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    There's plenty of newer, arguably better stuff that's come out since, not to mention Genzler Amplification, the new reiteration of GB.
    The new Mesa, peavey, come to mind.

12. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    I saw the new mesa stuff it's seems pretty great. I honestly just wish that these companies would also do demo videos for upright bass as well as bass guitar it would make life so much easier lol

13. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    Have you heard anything about the new Genzler stuff?

14. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    xXMikeHellXx likes this.