Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by pinkfloyd, May 4, 2001.

1. This might be in the wrong place, and if so I'm sorry. My band is playing a metalized cover of nelly's ride with me, I can't find the tabs anywere and I can't seem to figure out the notes. Can anyone help me please. Thank you

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Pink,

First of all, welcome to TB. This thread would be more appropriate under "General Instruction," and will probably get moved.

Out of curiosity/boredom, I checked out that tune. How can you NOT figure that out?? It's only four notes, and you can get away with three. You absolutely won't find an easier tune. Good lord.

Either,

a) You are incredibly lazy.

or

b) Your bass is out of tune.

If it's "a", I have no sympathy - burn a few calories, exert yourself for more than 30 seconds and learn the stupid tune.

If it's "b", it's an easy fix. Check out this thread:

http://talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=17058

Really, I'm not trying to be mean, but giving you the notes won't help you any. No pain, no gain.

3. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Harsh but so true.

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Yes it is true, but I think a little more harsh then it needed to be. I doubt he is lazy because wouldn't it be easier just to sit down and figure it out, then to go online and start a thread about it.

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Not intended to be "harsh" at all. If this person has some physiological disorder that prevents him from matching a pitch, he has my most sincere apologies.
    And his bass really may be out of tune, and he doesn't realize it. Easy beginner mistake. And actually, I think I'm being pretty cool for suggesting it as a face-saving out.

Otherwise, it's laziness, pure and simple. And for a lot of kids, posting a question on the internet is WAY easier than doing the hard ear work (and in this case, it ain't too hard - really, give the tune a listen).

Am I being judgemental? Maybe a little. But IMO, misplaced compassion does way more harm than good. And doing the work FOR someone isn't helping them at all. All I'm suggesting is that maybe he gave up a little too soon. We go down this road way too often here.

Grown ups?

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Teach a man to fish.....

good call, lump.

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I guess I'm a softie. ;) Just joking.

Yeah now that I have checked out the song I've realized lump is right. Took about 20 seconds for me and I have a horrible ear for that type of thing.

Keep working at it pinkfloyd and you'll get it.

8. hey if someone needs help give them help I never heard of the song but that dont make me mr perfect

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    PINKFLOYD:

Lump's advice may be a bit brutal to take, but it's honest. Very honest, and we should thank him for that. The time has come to stretch out on your instrument and your musical training. In the time it's taken you to search the web for the tabs, post here at talkbass, and read the responses, you probably could have figured out 2 of the 4 notes in the song. Just start with the first note you hear, and try matching it on your bass. As LUMP said, make sure you're in tune first, and the intonation of your bass isn't off. Just start plucking away, it's the only way to do it. There's a pretty good chance that if you find the tune, the tabs are wrong anyway.

Maybe we can get him started, for those of you that know the song, what key is it in?

Good luck PINKFLOYD, we're glad to have you hear at Talkbass, and remember that we are trying to help.

10. The first reply I read to this guy's question is EXACTLY what I am talking about. Read my post entitled, "Some of you people have a real bourgeois attitude..."

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :rolleyes:

If being honest and direct in answering a question is "bourgeois", then color me bourgeois. lump gave the best possible answer to help the questioner, no matter how harsh it might have seemed. As a teacher you'd be utterly amazed at the students I've had that thought that just coming to their lesson would make them better :eek: (no Neal, not you ;) ). You gotta WORK to get good at the instrument, and a great deal of that work is in ear training. Instead of getting on the computer and begging for TABS, sit down and figure the darn thing out. Even if it's complicated (which the tune in question apparantly isn't), all it is is notes, and there are only 12 of them. I like Pacman's comment the best...."teach a man to fish...". Damn skippy...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with lump entirely and as to the last subject - someone is either:

a) A troll

b) Ignorant of the meaning of the word "bourgeois"

...probably both!

13. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Is this a joke?