Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Some Help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trademark, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Well to whoever is listening I just started playing the bass, and am in a band. The time has come to get my act together and actually get some gear, because all I have is a practice amp and a nice Ibanez bass. I guess my question is what should I get along the lines of a cabinet and an amp? I have like $1300 saved up, but I really don't want to spend all of it. So if you could can you please recomend what some good but economical equipment would be. Thanks.

-Ryan

2. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i would say swr workingmans series...not as nice as the pro stuff, but will fit in your budget and still sound quite good. when I was in your situation I made the mistake of buying a hartke 3500 and the mx series 4 by 10 plus tweeter....absolutely terrible. dont make the mistake of cheaping out now...youll pay for it later. youll save money in the long run if you buy something now that youre going to be happy with for a good long time.

3. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i agree with leper. a few months ago i was in the market for a new rig. i wanted to spend about 1300, just like you. but after playing countless amps in stores, i found that i absolutely loved the swr bass750 with the 8x8 cab...that cost me way more than 1300, but i don't regret it one bit.

if 1300 is totally the limit...well here are some things i was considering for that money.

eden metro (combo)

swr silverado (combo)

nemesis head and 4x10 (riksmusic.com used to have great prices on these, but they don't carry them anymore)

several carvin rigs

Gallien Krueger 700rb with a genz benz 4x10

ampeg b2r or svt350h head with a bse410hlf cab

there are many other combinations...but they all left me wanting more, so i bit the bullet and threw down the extra cash for what i wanted. my advice would be to play as many setups as you can with your own bass, and just follow your ears. if you can justify spending the money on what you like best, then you're in the clear! if you can't, well, it's compromise time. good luck!