need some help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tevye, Sep 3, 2003.

1. tevye

Sep 3, 2003
    hey, I'm a newbie, I'm going to go buy a bass this week... I have about $400 maybe $450... I'm wanting to get a bass, an amp, a electric tuner, and a bag... I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion or two for me, what kinda bass... or what kinda amp I might want to look for... thanks!!
  2. Where do you live, this way I may be a little MORE helpfull. :) ?
  3. tevye

Sep 3, 2003
    I live in northern california, near sacramento... there is a guitar center in sac... that's where I'm planning on going
  4. Wow...lots of new bass players lately! Welcome to TB, enjoy your stay ;)

If your budget is only $400-$450, I would recommend getting an Essex Bass or an Ibanez GSR200. Of course if you don't want either of those, you can go look for a nice used Fender. You can get the Essex basses at and you can view specs of the Ibanez GSR200 at and purchase at

As for a gig bag, the Coffin Cases are pretty nice, just got mine today (yay), they are like $30 and you can get them at

For the tuner I use a Korg Chromatic Tuner and their pretty cheap at like under $20.

For an amp, I'd go for a 15-25watt practice amp for now. I used to have a Johnson 15watt amp that was a total monster, but now xush or his mom has it ;) I'd check out eBay for one or the classifieds on this forum.

If you have trouble finding the stuff on the sites, lemme know and I'll post actual links.

Another thing when having us help you choose a bass, let us know what kind of music you want, it will help us in helping you choose what bass would be best for you ;) Hope I was of some help, lemme know if you need anymore help! ~ Tyler
  5. Hmm. Well my guess would be going with a Squier or Essex. I forgot what model is better but someone here will answer that. If you want to wait for a delivery check out . Rondo's Essex's are great for the price. Some might suggest the Ibanez GSR200, my friend owns one and I'm not to fond of the sound.I would suggest getting a amp 50-100 watts. This way when you jam (Don't need to practice too loud) you should have enough wattage for a while. Once GAS hits you and then you ant to buy everything up. For a bag I would say get a gig bag for now, others my argue about it but the straps are good when carrying other gear. For amp brands someone else will specify for what to look for. Tuner : Korg , good tuner. Also get a polishing cloth, must keep the bass clean.
  6. Also welcome to the bass word, (damn THole beat me to replying)
  7. Almost forgot , check out the scrath and dent specials at GC also !
  8. tevye

Sep 3, 2003
    thanks guys!!
  9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say buy a used MIM Fender that comes with a bag for around 300, I use a 15$ tuner on all my gigs, and if you're just practicing at home just a cheap small amp used too and you'd be set pretty well.
  10. Essex bass + Behringer Amp..if you plan on jamming w\ your friends immediately, it'd be good to have about a 60 watt amp if there is a drummer involved.... case and tuners.. Ty's reccommandation for a coffin case sure is stylish!
  11. And I just got mine today :)
  12. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I live a few blocks from that GC.
    And welcome to TB.
    If you want I could meet you there, let me know.
    Gives me another good reason why I need to go there.