Need some Hold 'Em tips!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Dec 5, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Got a big game coming up in a few weeks. Not tournament big, but pride big, and that's the Biggest Big of all.

Any old and grizzled Hold 'Em players have any valuable experience to pass on to me? I know everyone thinks they're a whiz with the explosion of online poker and all that, so I hope I get a lot of advice. :D
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Play smart, don't try to "win back" chips after a bad beat, try to make the best decision for the current hand, and don't worry about previous hands. Take mental notes of other players' tendencies, and don't drink.
  3. canopener had some good advice. I have paid for lots of equipment with my hold 'em winnings. Best advice is to stick to your game plan. Don't drop back and punt too early. If you are conservative, don't try to go gung-ho with bets, and if you are conservative, I would say don't bluff more than twice. It will eventually bite you. Also, work on mentally tracking how many outs you have and how many cards can beat you given the flop. Compare the two and see if it makes sense to go.

Like canopener said, don't try to win it back, because you are going to lose some hands.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here's a tip: don't play! :) Is it a home game or an organized game? I was listening to a guy on the radio last week talking about how rampant cheating is in home games.
  5. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    1) pick up a no limit hold em(i assume thats what your playing) book by David Sklansky
    2) play tight aggressive...meaning only play top starting hands and when you get them play them aggressive especially pre-flop
    3) be aware of your position

let us know if there are any other questions.
  6. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Agressive Moves...If you have a Marginal hand...a low pair or a "Not Quite a flush or straight", bet the pot.
  7. while its not the same as playing in person, it's always good to practice at the online sites. That's what i do when I go a long time without playing in person.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.
    Know when to walk away, know when to run.

Oh and also you better count your money when you're sittin' at the table. There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

brad cook
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ha ha ha ha ! :D
  10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy, she'll beat you if she's able.
    You know the queen of hearts is always your best bet.

11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Good stuff so far!

It will be a private home game. These guys are trustworthy though, and it's pretty low stakes. Depending on how many games we play, I won't be out more than $40 if I manage to blow it all.

I usually have a hard time deciding what to stay in on. Sometimes I'll pay to see the flop if the blinds are still low on something stupid like an off-suit King Seven, or similar hand. I try to play pretty conservative, however, and try not to get in with anything less than a decent pair or some suited high cards.

I usually end up paying to see the flop though... I tend to get blinded to death over the course of the game. :D
  12. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    there is your problem...your not playing tight aggressive before the flop. you should only be seeing about 15% of the flops. k7 is pretty much junk...try playin like 10 7 or j 9 late position looking to steal. they are more likely to catch connecting cards than k 7, you cant catch a straight with that hand.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hmm... good points.
  14. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Haha. I was pretty intoxicated one night and decided to play hold'em. A 5$ game with about 9 of my sober friends.. I went all in on the first hand with K 7 off suit.... I am $5 poorer.
  15. bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    im tellin you, go to borders or barnes and noble and check out theory of poker by david sklansky and it will give you a chart on what hands to play preflop, know that and you half way there.
  16. Number one rule.

And don't cheat. Poker cheaters suck.
  17. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    fold more than you play.

you should try and win one big hand every 30 mins or so.....

poker is a survival game too....