Need some info about amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Hi im a fairly new bass player and i want to no i few things

1) Whats a good amp for practice and small gigs, I dont have much money so probably $400 american would be the most. (links to the site of the amp would be good)

2) What do pre-amps and power-amps do and is a Line6 Bass Pod Pro a pre-amp. Could you use a pre-amps with a bass combo? How do they work? (Where are they pluged into)

Well hopefully you can help

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Hello Spike and welcome to the board I have quoted your post so I can refer to it.

1 I would check out the Ampeg B100r and the SWR Workingmans stuff

You are going to have to find a bunch of amps in your price range then try them with your bass. My ears ans tastes are different to yours. If you have a bass player friend or teacher ask them to go with you, buy them a beer/coffee/milkshake.

When you have a short list of stuff you like/afford then come back here and ask for feedback on those models (reliability portability etc) did a combo shootout I think its on line try the site. have a reviews section but read it with a pinch of salt.

2 A combo is a combination amplifier and speaker. A head is the amp only. The pre amp is the bit with the knobs (bass treble etc) the power amp is the engine. Personally I would go for a combo. If you read my sig I have a head and 4x10 but It stays put where I play.

The line 6 Pod can be used as a pre amp but its designed to emulate different amplifiers for recording. I believe that you can use it in front of an amp but once again try it.

Happy hunting
  3. Thanks for the help CS

I have some more questions

1) How much is the Ampeg B100r i looked around but couldn't find the price?

2) Is 100 watts enough to play at a small gig?

3) Is there any Heads you could and Cabs you could suggest for around $400?

4) Are Hartke and Peavey reliable bass amp Company's? because i no Hartke have some cheap heads in my price range

I also have a problem with music shops to test out amps in. There are only two near me annd one is really tiny and another is good but has only a Hartke head and Cab for sale in bass amps, that shop doesnt have any bass guitars for sale to so bass guitar mustnt be popular around my town.
  4. Also with the SWR, i quite like workingmans 10
    its 80 watts i think that would be enough for me but it also says you can add a speaker to it. This might sound dumb but the speaker make it louder?
    Also does anyone no the price for the Workingman's 10?
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    The B100R lists for $629 if you're American (are you?). List prices don't mean squat, so if you're lucky, maybe you could get it for $400. Look around on the used market for one, e.g. and, you might find one there for less than that.

If 100 watts is enough for a small gig or not depends on how do define "small gig" and what kind of music you play. You may most likely have trouble competing with two loud distorted guitars and a hard-hitting drummer, but for a jazz-type of setting 100 watts should be well enough for most occasions. It apparently depends on which 100 watts you look at as well, since people with first-hand experience from the B100R often state that it sounds considerably louder than other amplifiers with comparable power rating.

You will have a hard time finding a head and cab for $400. On the used market, there may be a few options, but I doubt you'll find anything worth keeping in the long run for that kind of money. If e.g. the B100R is loud enough for your needs now, buy that and start saving to buy a bigger rig later on - you will always have good use of a smaller combo amp.

I don't know about the reliability of Hartkes, but at least Carvins are well built.

Adding a speaker to the WM10 combo will increase the power rating to 100 watts (I think), and increase the speaker area - two factors which will make it louder. Not by much, but it's definitely noticeable.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There is one "keeper" rig you can get for about $400 used:

GK 400RB head (about $250)
    15" speaker cab (brand not too important) loaded with a JBL or EV speaker (about $150)

These are easy enough to locate and are serious pro gig setups.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Damn you, damn you all to hell! Why is everything so cheap in the US? :(
  8. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Get your stinking paws off me!
  9. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  10. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001

you can just about get a head/cab for 400 + shipping if you get a hartke 1400 (140w - not much, but more than an average combo) from roxymusic ($210 american), and a bullfrog alumabass cab (s210t) on closeout from musician's friend ($200 american). that's what i'd do in your shoes. if you're out of the country, shipping will most likely cost more. oh well. good luck.
  11. Thanks for you help

I live in Australia so there is a problem with shipping and stuff.

If there anyone is Aus, is there any good online muusic retailers ive been looking for ages cant semm to find any.
  12. I am looking at a Carvin PB-100-15

Does anyone no much about this amp or Carvin the company because i havent heard much about them.

And would this be loud enough to do a small gig...rock music mainly