Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need some info about steinberger spirits, help really aprecciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Mar 27, 2005.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    hello, since i want to buy this bass http://www.musicyo.com/product_images/054_full.jpg

i was wondering, what's the neck profile on this basses... are they like "baseball bats" as i have heard? or maybe they were talking about the graphite necked ones...

and my other question is about maple bodied basses... what kind of sound, generally speaking, can one get with a maple bodied bass? if you can, give me some examples....

the ultimate thing i would make to this bass is a pickup upgrade...but that's it, i'm interested in the headless factor, and the not expensive price....

thanks

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Actually, I was a little surprised when my XZ-2 showed up - it has a much shallower neck than both my past XT-2s and my original XM2A. I suspect all of the bolt neck Spirit models are this way. I don't notice much of a difference between the neck of the XZ-2 and my Sterling, but I'm not very sensitive to neck thickness.

I would think the maple bodied versions would be a little spanky - I prefer ash myself! I'm not sure what you'd be able to do about replacement pickups for the five string models, although EMG may have a direct active replacement.

3. +oM

+oM

Mar 14, 2005
    Hey Frac, I just bought my second XZ5 when they hit the sale price. I bought my first one about a year ago. Like you, headlessness and price were factors.

I also don't pay a lot of attention to neck thickness, etc. Just never seemed to matter much.

The maple body, with glossy finish over it may add brightness, but the way I run things, you'd never notice! I play reggae, and the sound I reach for is def. on the sub-low side. That being said, although the build quality of these is quite good, esp. for the price, I couldn't get the sound I needed out of these things without some outboard help. In my case I use a tube opto-compressor with an eq. circuit, and a cheap DOD envelope filter set so that the envelope never opens. The result-massive low end that I can carry in a suitacase if I have a flying gig.

Tone controls on an amp could maybe get the sound beefy enough, but I like the way I do it 'cuz I can send "my" sound to FOH regardless what backline amp I happen to be using...

4. +oM

+oM

Mar 14, 2005
    forgot to mention.......I too was gonna replace the p'ups. Looked at EMGs site and talked to a guy there. Can't remember the model, but there was one which was close to the same footprint, but would still require a little routing.

I never did the mod, as signal chain as described above got me where I needed to be. Everyone digs my sound-engineers, bandmates, and audiences alike..............+oM

5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I'm afraid I can't comment too much on the neck question or maple question as I've currently got an XZ-2db w/ash body (nice slim neck for a 4). But your post did move me to go an order one of the ash XZ-25s (I went with fireburst as I like that color on my XZ-2db - a nice "traditional" color to "tone down" the differentness of the headless design).

But as far as swapping out the pickups - on the Steinberger Yahoo group there seems to be a consensus that swapping out the cheap pots is the first step anyone needs to take. Much cheaper and easier (particularly since the pickups are odd sizes) and it's supposed to open up the sound quite a bit. Check out the Steinbergerworld website which includes a link to the Yahoo discussion group for lots more info.

I've not even swapped out the pots on my XZ-2db and it sounds just fine (different than my other basses, of course). Some may like it more or less compared to other instruments. My bandmates like it just fine and I've gigged with it several times and it sounded fine. I guess I'm just saying don't make a swap unless you feel the need to after living with it a bit, just because it's not high-end doesn't mean it's not a very workable, giggable sound.

If you care you can hear a few sound clips of a previous XZ-2db I had (ash body again) at my soundclick page to get an idea of what one can sound like.

6. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    sorry!!

i have been really busy, and i totally forgot about this thread
    wow thanks for the replys

since i know that the neck is not a baseball bat wich i don't like i'm a step closer to buy this bass.
    the thing is that i really like the white one... but that's too much maple!

it's cheap thought i can sell it here to other person in case that i see no future for this bass..... but obviously...that's not the idea

7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I just received an XZ-25 today - I thought I'd try a 5er again and these have a 1.625" nut width (very narrow, which may work for me). And they are on sale :D . I went with fireburst for the ash body and more classic look (it never looks traditional/classic being headless and all, but the fireburst stands out a bunch less than the white would). I personally prefer the white and may get one of those as well someday if it works out for me ergonomically (I'd probably wait until they went on sale again).

If you really like the white - get the white. You can always get different strings (from www.juststrings.com or www.status-graphite.com) to tone it down if it's brighter than you like. I used to say I liked alder-bodied basses with rosewood fretboards most. Then I had a couple of ash bodied maple boarded basses I really liked (and poplar bodied, wenge fretboarded and . . .). So I now take each bass as an individual and decide whether I like it or not based on its own character, not just what woods it is made of.

If you are going to move, do so soon. The sale officially ends today (but the sale prices may be up for a few more days - MusicYo doesn't always change them exactly on the day they say they will).

8. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uhm.. iguess you're right with the fact that i have to try it first and then i can comment about the tone..cause the maple body might sound different to what i expect...

the problem now is that i didn't noticed that they were going to be on a low price just for a little time... so today i found some bad news when i saw the new prices... let's blame my english for not noticing that...

thanks for the replies.. i think that i'm gonna try some local basses first and see if i find something tonally versatil here...
    i can only say that that white bass has total coolness and i'll try it someday.. but i'm gonna wait for a better price.

thanks for all the replies