Need Some Info On My New Used Bass About Active Electronics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Oct 25, 2002.

1. As I mentioned in previous posts, I have bought a used Washburn MB-4 Mercury series bass. Took it back to the shop yesterday to have them resolder the jack connections, and while there I found that it does have Active Electronics.
    1. What does this do for me and the sound exactly?
    2. What are indications that the battery needs to be changed? I assume I would be able to tell by the output I am getting from the instrument?
    Will this be obvious to me, keeping in mind that I am back into this after many years away and am not familiar with the concept of active electronics in a bass? Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Active Electronics means that you have a little preamplifier onboard, able to boost/cut lows, highs and sometimes mids.
    If the battery the pre doesn't work and it's likely that altering boost/cut level results in no changes to your sound
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    You probably will not want to run the EQ controls up full. With the EQ controls up full you typically get too hot a signal going to your amp resulting in distortion/overdrive. If the EQ knobs have a center detent, then you have a boost/cut EQ system. This allows you to boost or cut those freq's (bass/mid/treble or bass/treble). Some active basses only have boost type EQ. You'll probably want to change your battery every 6 months just to make sure that it doesn't die in the middle of a gig. Also unplug the input cable from your bass when it's not in use. The input jack on most active basses acts as an on/off switch. As a side note, active electronics typically allow you to use longer input cables without much signal loss.