1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some information on T-40 pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hopkins, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I just bought a 1981 Peavey T-40 that had an intermittent problem with the neck pickup cutting out.

After some diagnostics it turns out that there is a bad connection inside of the pickup, these pickups being unrepairable, and no with no new replacements available, used is my only option. Which leads me to question #1

Mine is an 81 there are 3 on ebay right now, all are from 79. What is the difference tonally, and output wise, from the earlier ones with out the exposed blades compared to the later ones, like I have, with the exposed blades. I'm not that concerned in with the visual differences between the two.

Question #2 is, Are the neck and bridge pickups the same pickup, or is the bridge wound hotter than the neck like in some cases.

If anyone has a pickup they would like to get rid, of please let me know. I would rather replace it with the same pickup with the exposed blade if at all possible.

2. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Let me know if you want to get rid of the bad one.

Toasters run about 3k ohms per coil.

Blades run about 5k ohms per coil.

The bridges run a bit higher than the necks, but not by much. I think the assemblers just grabbed two pickups and stuck whichever one was the hotter in the bridge position.

3. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Would you, go with the Toaster, or hold out for a blade?

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I think you'd get a better balance with another blade.

5. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Ok, I am going to try and open up my current pickup and see If I can salvage it. I believe it has a broken wire where it goes through the base plate.

6. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Blades are epoxy potted in a plastic box. The metal top is crimped on the box. The box top will pop off with a little effort. The only wires you'll have access to from the top are the bare wire and the red coil split wire. To get to the other wires, you'll have to go through the bottom. These pickups are not easy to work on.

7. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    I just figured that out. I wound up having to cut the bottom out of the pickup and dig the bobbins out. I re-wound each coil to 5.5k with 42 awg wire, re-wired the coil, and glued the plastic top piece and the bottom of the base plate to the coil. I had to cut the sides off of the box to get the pickup apart. I taped a dam all the way around the pickup, and filled it with System 3 epoxy. We will see if my efforts pay off tomorrow.

If I could find someone selling a blade pickup, I would have just bought one.

8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    That was quick. Did you find the problem? Did you convert it to a 4 wire?

9. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Yeah the problem was the shielded wire where it goes into the base plate was pinched on a hard angle and one of the wires inside must have broke.

I had to rewind it because I damaged the coils trying to dig enough epoxy out to get to the solder joints for the lead wires. Right now I am trying to clean off a bunch of epoxy that leaked through the slots where the blades go through. Its not fun.

10. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Its a working pickup again. I'm still going to keep an eye out for a replacement as it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as it used to be. There are some scratches in the exposed black plastic now from scraping off the epoxy that leaked through the blade openings. It's a good thing it was still gummy, and not completely cured or it would have been all but impossible. But it sounds pretty much exactly the same as it did before when it was working.

Now that I know I can rebuild an epoxy potted pickup, I never want to do it again, what a mess that turned into.

11. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Thankfully the Toasters are a bit easier to work on.

How many turns did you put on each coil?

12. Hopkins

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    6000 turns per coil. 42awg wire yielded about 5.5k

13. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I've got 3 Toasters that need winding, if I ever get around to putting my winder together..