Need some input on mid-high end Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Daedraziel, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    First off, Hi everyone!, Im a long time forum troll but finally decided to register to grab some input from everyone regarding my options.

I've been playing with a working cover band for a few years now and have been switching between an Ibanez BTB570FM and a custom p/j style 4 string with old EMG's (Ill upload pics in a bit) for the 2-3 shows a week we do. They are great basses no doubt and versatile (I LOVE Bartolini Pups).

I'm no expert on these things by any means...im just in the market for a higher end instrument with a few criteria and Id love the advice or recommendations:

1. I'm a huge fan of the natural wood body or overlay such as Bubinga or Quilted Maple, My BTB570 is on the right track but falls short. Preferably NO pick guard

2. I'd like a lighter overall weight (though it isnt critical) I used to play a G&L that could double as a sledgehammer, it was so damn heavy.

3. The Hardware must have versatility in sound ie. EQ dials and 9-18v systems. I do NOT use any effects or boxes...just a tuning pedal and whats onboard most of the time. Im sure if the bass is worth it I could always upgrade this though.

4. I do my own set ups, maintenances and restoration if need be, so even an older used model would be fine if anyone has good input on it.

5. PRICE Preferably less than $1500 but im willing to bend on that.

Please throw me some models/pic/links. ANYTHING!! Id appreciate the hell out of it...unless you start linking Fender basses :scowl: they just are a 1 trick pony in the looks and feel departments. Not taking away from the legends that they are.

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    It's starting to become a bit of a cliché, but for good reason: Carvin instruments are some of the best American made bang-for-the-buck instruments available. Their J99A's (jazz shape) and radiused singles and humbuckers (soapbar shaped) are excellent pickups, and their preamps are incredibly versatile and transparent. Then, there's the fact that you can pretty much design your instrument for right at (or even under) your price point. Check em out.

3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Used Spector Euro and even NS basses can be found on the TB classifieds for less than $1500 and have all of the features that you're looking for; there's currently a PHENOMENAL SSD era NS4 for sale at $1400, which is a truly outrageous deal for a handmade bass of that quality.

I'd jump on it myself if I had the money ;)

4. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
  5. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    Wow those spectors are unreal, I'm going to do some homework and see if I can find one to play a bit at a music store within driving distance of me.

6. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    +1 Got my vote.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    + 1 on Carvin, a SB4000/5000 with exotic top will be around your price plus you can customize other aspect of the bass.

8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Another vote for Spector. I got my new Euro 4LX on eBay for $1,400. Turns out a local music store listed it as used, but in fact it was new. They do this periodically to reduce inventory. I just checked and there are currently no listings. They actually have great prices on gear, I got a new Gallien-Krueger 800RB for $550 and it wasn't on sale. PM if your want their number. I'd also suggest a Spector Rebop, great bass and very reasonable price for used. You can't go wrong with Spector, I have four so far, one Euro and three Korean, and they are all great basses.

9. XBassist456

XBassist456

Aug 19, 2013
    Try the ibanez sr1400

10. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    +1 on Carvin. I paid well under your $1,500 figure for a new LB70 (walnut with oil finish) more than 10 years ago and it's still my No. 1. They have a nice selection of natural wood options, most come stock with active EQs (I believe 18v is available), and are very versatile.

11. You can find a Mike Lull M5, for under 2K, if you look around... fabulous necks, duncan pickups, and 18v pres... mine only weighs 8 lbs!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021