1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some insight on Genz Benz Shuttlemax12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tinman 1967, Jul 24, 2012.

1. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Im thinking about purchasing a Shuttlemax 12, My thinking is,
    Very good price ..... (discontinued model) Very lightweight, able to add different cabinets in the future, sounds great to me ( Ed Freidland videos).
    I guess Im wondering if its just too much power for what I need as opposed to a shuttlemax 6 or 9?
    The other question I have is that it is equipped with 2 amps, A and B. Does that mean that the FET channel is one side and the tube channel is the other?
    I play mostly in a small club atmosphere, or will be using it at home.

I plan on using a 600 watt Aguilar DB212 4 Ohm, on 1 amp, and later adding maybe 2 8 ohm cabs down the road on the other side if need be.
    Is this too much amp for my needs? Is it bad to use a setup like this and not "let it breathe"?
    Seems like a really versatile amp, I know many here give the amp a thumbs up.

What do you Genz Benz shuttlemax owners think?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

2. .
    I'm more than happy with mine

yes, that's correct.

Small club venues? I reckon just the Aguilar, or maybe the Aguilar with a single 8 ohm cab would be plenty. Depends on how loud your band plays I guess.

They can handle pretty much whatever you want to throw at them really.

Greg

3. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    This is misleading. you can choose either preamp to use, FET or tube. But the speaker outputs are specific to power amp A or B. If you have the FET channel selected and cabs hooked up to both amps, A and B then both power amps will output the signal from the FET and the same if you select the tube or blend function. If you are only using one cab then the speaker output, a or b does not matter as long as you load is a minimum of 4 ohms on each outout. The preamp channel that you have chosen feeds both power amps.

Make sense?

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    If you have a 4 ohm cab & you're adding any second cab, you'll need the max 12.0. Enjoy it !

5. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    Ahh! Make sense for sure! Thats what I was hoping for. So if I only hook up 1 4 ohm cab to either A or B amp (or use 2 8 ohm cabs)...., I still will be able to chose FET or tube preamps, and or blend them. (still getting the full 600 watts )
    So I guess having the 2 600 watt outputs is basically for having use of all the power the amp is capable of.

Thanks so much!

6. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Correct. Each output is capable of a 4 ohm final with a 600 watt maximum output is you have a 4 ohm load on each output, you have a 1200 watt total.

In addition, I use an 4 ohm Aguilar Db 212 with my SM 9.2 and it KILLS!!! No volume issues at all. In fact, I've never had the master above 9 o'clock.

7. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I've been touring an SM12.0 for nearly two years and LOVE it...I play upright and electric so the two pre's are awesome, and there are a lot of cab options...

8. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    The Shuttlemax is an awesome amp. I also like the thought that if, for some reason, one amp side has a problem, you have another side built in.
    Plus you can run (2) 4 ohm cabs at once. POWER!
    Is there such a thing as too much power?

9. Awesome head! Never thought I would replace it, but a Mesa M9 Carbine fell in my lap last week and I might. Extremely versatile head, with great EQ flexibility.

10. portraitoftracy

portraitoftracy

Sep 27, 2005
    Chico, CA
  11. tcb flash

tcb flash

Oct 9, 2012
    Can someone tell me the difference between shulttlemax 12.0 and 12.2. Is it just a newer model or are there changes? Should I look for the older 12.0 or go with the newer 12.2