Need some instruction.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TravisTyree, Jan 12, 2015.

1. TravisTyree

TravisTyree

Jan 12, 2015
    So I'd like to hear from some experienced bassists out there. I recently picked up the bass again after a severe hand injury. (2 severed arteries and 3 torn tendons.) Its not really effecting my play to much as its been almost a year since this injury. Imagine I have roughly 4 hours+ to practice daily. If you could write a schedule for somebody to follow and use to practice, what would it be? (Ex. Do (x) this many times or for (x) amount of time and then do this..etc..etc..) thank you!

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'll tackle this, not from a bassist-angle, but as a veteran massage therapist.

When I was in school to get my certification, I kept a small, rather-squishy foam ball with me during class. Not a tennis ball, that'd be too stiff, but about the same size. Also, not a rubber "exercise ball". They're also too stiff.

What you want is to build up endurance AND promote good range of motion. To this effect, you need something that can offer a little bit o' resistance when gripping, but still soft enough that your fingers are actually going through it's range of motion. An exercise ball that resists too much may build up strength, but it can compromise the muscle's attachments…or in your case, add in the points where the tears are trying to knit themselves back together.

Have you seen those little foam-rubber globes…the kind companies will put a little brand name on when they hand them out? Something like that would work just fine. Just keep it handy (pun only mildly intended :bag:) as much as you can, and slowly squeeze it down as best you can, as often as you can.

3. ZBirdV8

ZBirdV8

Feb 26, 2012
    Detroit Michigan
    Rhythm
    Arpeggios (perpetual motion to metronome)
    Scales (also perpetual motion to metronome)
    Reading
    Repertoire

Total Practice time/5 for each.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021