1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some major help on my electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LanOsb133, Aug 21, 2012.

1. So my '02 Fender American Deluxe P bass just crapped out on me today. Normally I wouldn't mind, I would go and have it fixed... However, I am in the middle of recording the rest of my EP with my band and I can't simply just swap out the bass... I have $0 and need the bass operational by Saturday... Otherwise things won't be looking good...

Here is what I know. My jack was always a wee bit screwed up. Like if you touched it or moved it it would give REALLY bad feed back. On top of that I had an electrical problem to where the treble knob acted as a 'second volume" knob. If it was turned low the bass would be a lower volume but when turned high, my bass would be unbelievably loud. Why does that matter... Well now when I plug my bass in, It doesn't have ANY volume when set to where I always have my bass set. Volume knob all the way up and the Treble knob about 1/10 1/9th of the way up. But it makes no sound. I turn the treble up all the way and the sound is VERY VERY faint and it sounds very very distorted (like there is 3 distortion pedals on said bass)

I've used contact cleaner on the input jack but that did nothing. I'm almost positive its an electrical issue (Just changed batteries ~4 minutes before this happened.) So what should I be looking for when I open her up? Any ideas on what this could be? I can do a video for anyone if needed as well.

P.S. I used another bass and everything works fine so I know for a fact its JUST the bass.

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Sounds like you have a major issue with the preamp. The current version of this bass has an active/passive switch, do the 2002's have that? If so, I would run it in passive mode and then address the output jack problem if need be. If not, I would try running one (or both, depends on what you want) of the pickups directly too the output jack. You will have to use the volume and tone controls on the recording system to get the tone you want but it would get you going again in the least amount of time and money. If you try that and the output jack is unusable you can get another jack at Radio Shack or even just chop one end off an amp cable and wire it straight to the pickup wires. That last option would not work on stage at a live show but in a recording studio you it would be reliable enough to let you limp home.

Ken

3. Thank you so much! I'm going to dive into it today. Sadly the pre-2010's don't have a Bypass switch. If it is an issue with the Pre Amp what would need to be done? Would I need to buy a new one? Could it just be wiring is messed up? I will want my bass in tip top shape when I get money in but I sadly won't have any until after the studio.

4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I am sure the preamp could be repaired, maybe it is just the treble pot that is bad. Most likely the repair would be to replace the preamp board though simply because the price of a new preamp will be less than the cost of diagnosing and fixing the problem with the old preamp. Unless someone else here had the exact same problem and knows what the fix is, you are not likely to be able to get a definitive answer via the internet. Take it to a local shop for a diagnosis. Contact Fender if you don't have a trusted local shop, they should be able to suggest a good one.

Ken

5. I've got Steve Soest about 20 miles form my house. (very amazing guitar tech) I plan on taking it to him when I can. Thanks for the help, It really does help a lot :oops:

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Well, maybe you want to take it to Steve right away, before you do anything else then. There is always the chance he can spot the trouble immediately and fix it for free. Or maybe spot you the repair until your EP is done....

Good luck with everything,

Ken

7. Talked to him, he said that Active Basses are nothing but trouble and that I would be best to buy the part itself, then he would install it (I needed to get my strap lock fixed anyways so I'll get two birds with one stone) for minimal charges. Now to find someone to lend me the money for the parts and repair xD Thanks for your help man!

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Does the new battery 'taste' good?

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Or battery connector/ wires loose?

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Sounds very much like a dead battery to me. It could be that your new battery was dead. (It does happen)

Could also be a bad connection in the output jack or the battery connector.