Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some mids?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Jun 3, 2002.

1. I have an Ibanez BTB 5 and an SWR Workingman 4004. I also have a big problem. I can't get any damn mids without sounding all farty and nasaly. I can't afford new pickups so that's not gonna help. If anyone has a suggestion please help. I've tried everything. Someone's has got to have one of those ancient veteran tricks. Thanks.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you might try something like an MXR M-80, a SansAmp Acoustic DI or another bass pre that has a mid control. A SABDDI probably won't do ya', since it has no mid control. Something with a sweepable mid would even be better. Or go all the way and get a Raven Labs True Blue EQ. Whoa.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, that True Blue is tempting, ain't it Munji? I'd love one...I prefer the XLR outs, but I dunno, it's awefully tempting.

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Try changing the strings

5. Yes! change the strings! make sure you have some nice new ones on it!

It might increase your chances...

To sell it.

You want mids? Get a Stingray.
    ~Ad

6. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I don't mean to sound rude, but can you explain more specifically what you're after? Boosted mids do sound nasal and that is obviously not what you're after. So you perhaps want more low-mids?
    WM 4004 has the following eq controls:
    80 Hz (Bass)
    160 Hz (Low Mid)
    400 Hz (Mid)
    800 Hz (Hi Mid)
    3KHz (Treble)

Have you tried to adjust each mid frequency separately? Tried to boost all mid freqs at the same time?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm ... I'm with TRU. I did not know that the 4004 has that much EQ on board. Set everything flat (12 o'clock), then one by one, cut one of the mids a little. When it starts to sound good, boost one of the other mids a little. Take your time. The key is to systematically and methodically explore what each EQ knob does to your tone. With the three different mid freqs, you should be able to get what you want. Also remember, a little dab'll do ya. I doubt you'd need to boost anything over 2 o'clock, or cut anything lower than 9 o'clock.