Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some opinions on a Fender.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dox, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    My friend at school yesterday has offered m ehis amp for $300. It is a Fender BXR Extended Range 100. I have never heard of these and if I have the reviews weren't very good.... I never heard anything on the Extended Range... Just the normal Fender BXR 100. I heard it was made around '94 and that Fender discontinued the BXR line. Ifthat is true would it be worth getting then? Cause I would really love to move up from my 19w amp to a 100w and teh cheapest 100w I have seen around here was $350 which is teh pricelisting for a Fender BXR100. So do you all think I should go for it?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    To my knowledge BXR stuff isn't as good as other makers. Try out the BXR 100 thing & if you like it get it if not don't. Ok sorry bout the short & not to direct response. that's all

3. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    Ask him to try it out first. If ya like it but it. Also see if there is a warrenty. they are pretty good amps. I mean bette then what ya got. But the price is steep. ask him if hell give ya a deal? ALOS the sheep thing is nasty hehe good luck
    chas :( :) :( :) :( :)

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    For $300 I would pass. For about $50-$100 more, you can get a NEW Ampeg BA-115, which is a WAY better amp IMO. If you shop for a used BA-115, you might find one for less than $300.

I don't care for any of Fenders BXR's that are larger than the BXR25. I think they're too boomy and not very focused (What note was that?).

If you like the sound of the amp, I think $300 is too much for a six-year-old BXR100. I think your $300 will get you a better amp.

5. The BXR series are not the best amps around in terms of sound, but some people like them a lot so we're into subjective territory.

However, $300 is about $100 too expensive and would be a deal-breaker for me, even if I liked the amps a lot.

John

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    For a little more money you can get a much better amp. I personally think the BXR series are, at best, entry level amps and, at worst, toys.I'm a huge Fender fan and Fender owner(both bass and guitar)and the BXR series was not their finest moment.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I bought a used Ampeg B100R for $199. 100 watts into a 15 inch speaker.You can find something cheaper if you keep looking.