1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some opinions on a Fender.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dox, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    My friend at school yesterday has offered m ehis amp for $300. It is a Fender BXR Extended Range 100. I have never heard of these and if I have the reviews weren't very good.... I never heard anything on the Extended Range... Just the normal Fender BXR 100. I heard it was made around '94 and that Fender discontinued the BXR line. Ifthat is true would it be worth getting then? Cause I would really love to move up from my 19w amp to a 100w and teh cheapest 100w I have seen around here was $350 which is teh pricelisting for a Fender BXR100. So do you all think I should go for it?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    To my knowledge BXR stuff isn't as good as other makers. Try out the BXR 100 thing & if you like it get it if not don't. Ok sorry bout the short & not to direct response. that's all

3. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    Ask him to try it out first. If ya like it but it. Also see if there is a warrenty. they are pretty good amps. I mean bette then what ya got. But the price is steep. ask him if hell give ya a deal? ALOS the sheep thing is nasty hehe good luck
    chas :( :) :( :) :( :)

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    For $300 I would pass. For about $50-$100 more, you can get a NEW Ampeg BA-115, which is a WAY better amp IMO. If you shop for a used BA-115, you might find one for less than $300.

I don't care for any of Fenders BXR's that are larger than the BXR25. I think they're too boomy and not very focused (What note was that?).

If you like the sound of the amp, I think $300 is too much for a six-year-old BXR100. I think your $300 will get you a better amp.

5. The BXR series are not the best amps around in terms of sound, but some people like them a lot so we're into subjective territory.

However, $300 is about $100 too expensive and would be a deal-breaker for me, even if I liked the amps a lot.

John

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    For a little more money you can get a much better amp. I personally think the BXR series are, at best, entry level amps and, at worst, toys.I'm a huge Fender fan and Fender owner(both bass and guitar)and the BXR series was not their finest moment.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I bought a used Ampeg B100R for $199. 100 watts into a 15 inch speaker.You can find something cheaper if you keep looking.