1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some opinions on a Modulus purchase.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Hill, Feb 14, 2006.

1. I'm about to purchase a Modulus VJ4 or Flea 4. I can't try either one out before I purchase so I was hoping to get some of your opinions. I want to get a completely different tone than what I'm getting from my Stingray. My Stingray is a dual humbucker with rosewood fretboard. If I'm going to get another base I want to cover different tones than I'm getting now. Any of your opinions on these two models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would imagine that the Flea 4 is going to sound a lot like your stingray. If you are looking for a completely different sound, go with the VJ4. Of course, this is assuming you would get the Flea 4 with the music man style pickup in it.

3. I tend to prefer the Flea's neck profile and body style to the VJ4. I have a Flea 5 with the Bartolini Jazz style pickups and find I can cover a lot of ground just using the pickup blend. Either way you wind up going, I would recommend upgrading the bridge. I put a Badass V bridge in place of their lightweight stock bridge and it made a huge difference for the better. I would also recommend the Aguilar pre. The jazz configuration with the Aguilar pre gives you a pretty good range of usable tones.