Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some opinions on a Modulus purchase.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Hill, Feb 14, 2006.

1. I'm about to purchase a Modulus VJ4 or Flea 4. I can't try either one out before I purchase so I was hoping to get some of your opinions. I want to get a completely different tone than what I'm getting from my Stingray. My Stingray is a dual humbucker with rosewood fretboard. If I'm going to get another base I want to cover different tones than I'm getting now. Any of your opinions on these two models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would imagine that the Flea 4 is going to sound a lot like your stingray. If you are looking for a completely different sound, go with the VJ4. Of course, this is assuming you would get the Flea 4 with the music man style pickup in it.

3. I tend to prefer the Flea's neck profile and body style to the VJ4. I have a Flea 5 with the Bartolini Jazz style pickups and find I can cover a lot of ground just using the pickup blend. Either way you wind up going, I would recommend upgrading the bridge. I put a Badass V bridge in place of their lightweight stock bridge and it made a huge difference for the better. I would also recommend the Aguilar pre. The jazz configuration with the Aguilar pre gives you a pretty good range of usable tones.