Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirtrider, May 25, 2005.

1. I posted a thread about a blown tube earlier, but this thread is about my situation as a whole.

I won an ebay auction for an Aguilar DB 359. The amp sold for $930, which I thought was a pretty good deal. Even thought the amp was described as being in excellent condition, I got the amp the other day with some scratches and a bent faceplate. It looks like the amp was racked without any support underneath and the faceplate bent under the strain of the weight of this amp.

So I was able to fix the front and the scratches, tho annoying, aren't really that big of a deal. I'm going to put it in a rack case anyway. Another thing that I didn't care for is the seller shipped the amp with the tubes still on as opposed to removing them for shipping. I think that's why the tube may have blown from all the jostling around, if that is what actually happened. The thing that bugs me is that the amp was far from being in excellent condition.

Anyway, I pulled the amp apart and fixed the faceplate, cleaned out some bits of dust and whatnot. I put it back together and plugged in and like the "blown tube" thread states, sound stops, power goes out and one tube seems like it has blown. It did power up and I did play it before I fixed the face plate.

I emailed Aguilar about it and am awaiting a response from them. The powertubes are original and I had planned on replacing them eventually, but it's looking like they'll need to be replaced now, if that is the only thing wrong with the amp. The problem is, how do I know if the amp is physically OK without dropping more money to get it checked out?

So my question is, should I see this as an omen of a previous owner that didn't really take care of this amp? I'd hate to end up dropping another $500 on this, but on the other hand, what if it was just dumb luck? I've wanted this amp for a while now. BTW, the seller said he'd refund my money.

What would you do?

2. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Ebay is risky. That sucks! One guys opinion of good condition is another guys well worn. As long as you still feel like you got a good deal that's all that matters in the end. I say retube, and rock out!

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Re-tube, it.. if you still get issues, have a tech look at it.. Then rock on!!

Even if you drop $500 on it, you'll still get it for less than retail.

and if you haven't.. post some nasty feedback.. so what if he retaliates...

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Take it to a tech to make sure its ok, then have it retubed.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes nasty feedback is in order. not to "punish" him, but to warn others of his dishonesty.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Send the amp back, and start over.

-Mike

7. i'd send it back !! obviously the previous owner had no respect for quality gear...and who knows what it has been thru ! negative feedback for sure and demand a full refund plus your shipping....i hate jerk-offs like that....his rich parents probably bought it for him anyway...