Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some Pickup Advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Deppel, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Does anyone know of some good pickups for Heavy Metal/Thrash and Punk? I have an Ibanez SR-400 and would like to replace the P-style pickup with one primarily for punk, and the J-style pickup with one primarily for Metal.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, it might help if you told us what sound you are trying to duplicate, but I'd recommend Seymour Duncan Basslines pups. Go for "Hot" variety and they should be plenty aggressive for you. EMGs aren't popular with everyone, but they might work for you as well.

3. Well for the Metal sound, I'd like to get something that has a lot of low-end punch, with a lot of growl as well. For the punk stuff, I need something that has good articulation and more mid-range response.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Dimarzio Will Power Middle (Billy Sheehan) P Pup is a great pickup for all things non-Vintage:D

Look at the tone charts on www.basslines.com and www.dimarzio.com Those may help.

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I would suggest passive Seymour Duncans. Those get a lot of punch. The ultimate pickups for any type of hard rock or punk are the Warwick MEC pickups. Unfortunately for you, they only come on Warwicks and they don't come in P-bass form.