1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some pointers!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tom Young, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Tom Young

Tom Young

Dec 21, 2017
    Greer, SC
    I have managed to keep the ONE instrument cable I own in fantastic condition! However, my beautiful bride treated me extra special this year and I need some new cables for the pedals I got. Any recommendations I want to upgrade my cables as well.

2. Make your own cables. It's cheaper and tidier than buying premade.

The cable itself isn't too important, as you are running short lengths, have a buffered signal, and don't need anything particularly durable. The connectors are what really matters. They need to be durable, as they will be used frequently. Gold plating is good, because it won't corrode like less expensive metals.

Haroldo, Tom Young and 40Hz like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Making your own cables is definitely the way to go. Use a quality brand of cable and plugs and you're set to go. I prefer soldered connections to the newer snap together type cable plugs because I'm constantly reconfiguring my pedal setup. But the snap connector plugs and cables are very reliable if you follow the manufacturer's assembly instructions exactly and don't plug and unplug things a lot. And the variety that comes with flat cables and low profile plugs is especially handy if you have a densely packed board or a huge one where you're trying to keep the weight down. Their single biggest drawback is their cost. I personally think they're seriously overpriced for what they are. But YMMV.

Either way, do your own cables. You'll be happier for it because you can make exactly what you want. And you'll definitely save money not buying a commercial cable of comparable quality.

Tom Young likes this.
  4. Tom Young

Tom Young

Dec 21, 2017
    Greer, SC
    I have always use commercially made ones but I’m always up for exploring. I’m actually planning to remodel the man cave to create space for a workbench so I can work on performing my own setups on my axes. Adding capability to solder my own cables wouldn’t be a stretch so I’m definitely going to try it out.

5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    All my short cables are George L's. Wiring a board can get really expensive, but you only have to buy once, and each is custom made for length, right angle/straight etc.
    I don't like George L for any longer cable because it does not lie flat on the stage.