1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some pro imput

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ilmārs Priede, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Apr 2, 2013
    I need some smart people to explain me the major difference between the USA, mexican and japanese precision and jazz basses, Fender ones.

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Pretty much price and quality. Standard series fender basses are made in mexico, american standard are made in USA hence the name, and some aerodyne, geddy lee and other variation of the typical jazz and precision are made in japan or have been in the past. All type of basses are playable for both pros and hobbyists alike. To me its a budget issue mainly. Anyone of those basses is completely useable as is but some people spend the extra money on the USA or japanese ones. The USA basses have better parts and build quality than the ones from japan and same goes for the japanese basses versus the mexican basses. Some people upgrade their basses no matter what country of origin to suit their specific needs, so upgrading changing parts isn't just something you see in mexican basses. All in all fender makes great basses.

3. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Apr 2, 2013
    So from all that the equation is mexican<japanese<usa ?

4. It's a bass by bass situation. I've seen USA basses with terrible detail work (Fret ends, pour neck finishing etc) and Mexi and China made bases with stellar detail work. The $500 Modern Player J is easily as good as a USA J and in some cases better. And with some easy mods it can be turned into a tone machine.

5. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    That is the "standard wisdom".

The "non-standard wisdom" is that Mexican Fenders typically cost less than Japanese Fenders, which typically cost less than American Fenders. As a group, Mexican Fenders exhibit more variability than do Japanese or American Fenders. Individual basses vary in quality, and it is entirely possible for an individual Mexican Fender to be of higher quality than an individual Japanese or American Fender. And of course this all depends on the individual user's definition of "quality" and how it is applied to the different aspects of any individual bass.

Whew! :p

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The comparison between Mexican, Japanese and American fenders is a topic that has been covered a lot here on talkbass. Establish what your budget is and then try as many basses as possible until you find one you are happy with.

7. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    No , you have to evaluate each bass on an individual basis . You might find a killer MIM and a so so MIA side by side in a music store . You might try five MIA basses and feel that one feels better than the others . Each and every one is a little different .

8. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    In general yes. Fender's quality control, while WAY better than it used to be, can still be spotty. Subsequently you can find an amazing MIM that is just about as good as the average MIA and better than crummier MIA's. I'd recommend playing as many as possible. If you can find one that is ahead of the pack, get it. Especially if you can find a good MIA.

Honestly though, Fender has tightened up their quality control on MIA's a lot in recent years. Not sure how much of quality control issues that are seen these days are actual quality control issues and how much might be attributable to the sheer volume of instruments that fender puts out. Might be the same percentage of lemons, just more instruments overall leads to more crummy ones being out there.

9. The newer MIMs are great--especially the classic series (P in particular). I have an 86' Japanese P and '00 Japanese Sting and like them very much. The only MIA P I ever owned in the 70s was the worst bass I ever played. Sold it for $250 in '81 and thought I was lucky. Doh!

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    *input

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You know I am going to have to go with the bass by bass thing. I have a 1999 MIM P special that plays better than any other Fender, maybe any other bass period - IMHO. Please note that I have a total of 5 Fender basses currently. From a USA Hwy 1, to my MIA Fender Deluxe 5, MIM Fender Special, MIJ Fender P and a MIK Squire. They vary widely from bass to bass and it is all a personal choice as to what bass plays better than another.

12. Definitely a bass-to-bass thing.

Case in point: My local Long & McQuade has an MIM Classic 70s Precision that outplays the American Special & American Standard sitting next to it. There's an MIM Active Deluxe Jazz V that plays better than the MIA Deluxe Jazz V. Luxury-wise, the Deluxe wins, but tone, fit, finish & feel are all on the MIM.

Some people like the label the MIMs as dogs and will play nothing but MIA Fenders, but some of the non-Standard models are KILLER basses for the money and easily rival their MIA "Superiors".

13. Ilm&#257;rs Priede

Ilm&#257;rs Priede

Apr 2, 2013
    Thanks for all the great advice. Sorry about the typos, I was a little bit tipsy when I started the thread. :)

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    In my experience the Japanese ones were reliably well built with some attention to detail.
    The others not quite so much.