Need some pros and cons re new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4-string, Jul 8, 2008.

1. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I'm looking to replace my Eden WT-600, and here are the candidates so far:

1. Genz Benz GBE1200 - I like the idea of having two channels EQ'd differently, switching and mixing. The LEDs seem a bit over the top to me, but I could live with that. :cool:

2. Thunderfunk TFB750-A - this is a strong contender at the moment. What are the cons if any?

3. Ashdown MK-500 - I've used graphic EQs a lot over the years, and really like them. IMO they provide better mid range
    control, but like I said, that's what I'm used to. I've seen some complaints about noise re this amp?

4. Gallien Kruger 1001RB-II - I know absolutely nothing about GKs, never ever played through one. People here seem to like them...

The Eden adds a bit too much color for my taste, and I'd like a tighter low end as well. That's why I will be replacing it.

All the four amps above are roughly the same $ here.

A tube pre is really no big deal to me, I prefer a clean sound. Tight, controlled lows and mids are important, as well as headroom.

The problem is, I'm not able to test drive any of these.

The amp will be driving a Schroeder 610L @ 6 Ohms.

Any input appreciated, thanks.

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you like clean and relatively uncolored, steer clear of GK IMO. The others are fine, but only the GB offers 2 discreetly eqed channels, so if that's what you'd like....

3. The Genz1200 is a big, big, heavy horse... so make sure that three rack spaces and a very deep profile requiring a full size rack is not a problem. You might consider the Genz Shuttle 6.0... it would have pretty much the same volume at 6ohms as your bridged 600 into 8ohms (which I think is the minimum for that amp), and would be literally a quarter of the size and weight.

If you can get Eden where you are, the WT405 is also a very cool unit... punchier, smaller, lighter, just as loud as your 600 bridged.

The TF750a would probably be the loudest of your options into 6ohms after the Genz1200, and most who like Eden also dig the TF... at least somewhat similar tone... a little cleaner and punchier.

The Markbass SD800 would also be a killer... 8 pounds, probably puts out about 600 watts into 6 ohms, and from many reports, works very will with a more vintage voiced multi 10 cab.. very clean, deep low end, plenty of mid grind if you want it.... really nice, and powerful enough to really crank at the less than optimal 6ohm impedance.

4. How about an Aguilar AG500 for something different? I've got a mint one posted in the classifieds. PM me if interested... ;)

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Thanks guys.

FWIW, I run the WT-600 bridged into 6 Ohms. The manual says min 8 Ohms bridged, but Eden has later given both the WT-800(a) and the WT-600 the green light for 6 Ohms operation in bridged mode. So I don't lack volume now either. ;)

I guess the GK is off the list then.

Of all the MB amps, the SD800 is the only one I've ever been mildly interested in. I'm sure it's a great head, but here they are ridiculously expensive, and costs more than any of the others. I'm sure the Thunderfunk would have been too if they were imported by some dealer, but buying direct helps a lot. ;)

6. I tried the GB, and liked it, but...it's big, heavy, and there's just too much information for me. :D I went with the Epifani 502 and have been ridiculously happy with it. One thing you mentioned was coloration...this thing has the cleanest sound of any amp I tried. And headroom? Gobs of it. After living with the 502 for a few months, I bought the 902 as well for larger gigs...I rarely need it.

Good luck with the hunt!

7. +1.. it's hard to recommend across geographies, since the prices and availability or so different. I have no idea if Carvin is cost effective for you, but the B1500 is killer also... LOUD, clean, punchy... lot's of backbone on that one, and while 3 space, much smaller than the Genz1200.

8. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    The GBE1200 is heavy by nature of a lot of heads out there. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. You have 4 hours to rest in between moving it.lol (sort of a joke). The options you have with that head are tremendous. The Shuttle6.0 is a great head as well but the 1200 to me is the ticket. I use mine 7 days a week on top of a NEOx112 (the hotel owner hears with his eyes so it can't be big). Man oh man does it pump. On the ocassions I think it is heavy at load in, I am thrilled at soundcheck.

Yes I am a Genz endorser, but I am a Genz endorser because if this head.

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Thanks - unfortunately, Epifani is both hard to find and too expensive. Carvin used to be represented here, but not any longer I'm afraid.

Fretlessboy - in your experience, is the tube channel hotter gain than the FET on the 1200? Some TBer mentioned that in another thread.

10. xtorrak

xtorrak Inactive

Jul 1, 2008
    Have you thought about Mesa? Something like the M-Pulse, BigBlock, or the Fathom (M6 Carbine). If it's too expensive or too hard to find in your area, I'd go with the MarkBass or Thunderfunk. Reasoning: because I've played those and liked their sound.

11. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Mesa is available but expensive. In fact, I can get both a Thunderfunk AND an Ashdown MK500 for the price of the M-Pulse.

Now, that's an idea. :)

12. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I tend to drive the tube channel hard...real hard like the red light doesn't go off hard. I want the drive that channel has to offer. The beauty is that t not only has it's own gain control, it also has it's own volume control so you can even them if you choose. If I want to use it and set it up where I just kiss the light, it happens on mine much sooner than the f.e.t. channel.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021