1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some quick help! Ampeg 215, Eminence Kappa content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by earsplit, May 10, 2010.

1. earsplit

earsplit

Dec 1, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I posted a craigslist ad up and someone responded saying they have an Ampeg V6-B 215 to trade. However, they said the speakers were replaced. The new ones are "EMINENCE PRO SERIES KAPPA PRO 15LF-2" Are these speakers decent?

Should I jump on it? I'd be trading my Mesa Powerhouse 210. He's sending me a picture tomorrow. My main concern is the cab being loud. I play doom metal, so volume is a huge plus.

I also can't find much on this cab. If in fact it is the V6-B cab, would it be worth getting an old 70's Ampeg cab? Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Kappa 15LFs?

I'm not sure, but I don't know if those are full range or not. Hopefully Bill or someone else with more knowledge than me will come in here.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They aren't, they should be used along with midrange drivers. IMO all fifteens should, but these especially. That LF suffix stands for Low Frequency, the Eminence way of saying that their intended use is with mids.

4. Korladis

Yeah, that's what I suspected.

Unless the V6B 2x15 has more than just two 15" speakers going on, wouldn't two 15LF's be mud city?

5. earsplit

earsplit

Dec 1, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Yikes... Guess I better look elsewhere. Thanks guys!

The interesting thing is the guy said he re-tolexed it and put a new ampeg logo / grill cloth on it. He's sending me pics tomorrow I'll post some up.

6. Korladis

Is he sure that they're 15LF's? Because it doesn't make much sense to stick two of those in a cab that's supposed to have full range speakers.

Because if he's mistaken about that, then it might sound okay after all. Things are often mislabeled or confusingly labeled on craigslist. Is it close enough to try out?

7. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It wouldn't be the first time someone stuck inappropriate drivers into a box based only on their being the right size and having a high wattage rating. I can think of half a dozen manufacturers who've done so on a regular basis. :smug:

OP, Kappa Pro LFs are very nice drivers, but on their own you'll have no mids. Fine for raggae, but if you play rounds you won't be happy with them.

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I had an older Avatar 115, no tweeter, with that driver in it. It was very deep and smooth but had nothing going on above about 1800 Hz.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    If it's in your area, I'd try it out before making the decision... The reason I say this is, you've nothing to lose by checking into it, and you might like it... I notice you have a 1001rb-II and a pair of SVT-410HLF cabs listed in your profile - if you like that setup, you *might* like this cab... I have a 700rb-II, and also had an SVT-410HLF, and liked them together...

I also have a Peavey 215D-BW that's loaded with Kappa LFAs, and it sounds great with my 700rb-II... Tons of balls, plenty of mids, and surprisingly good highs for those drivers... Although I typically gig with a Mesa PH 610 or an SVT810e, I wouldn't hesitate to gig my Eminence loaded Peavey 215 - and at 1200 watts power handling, it'll get PLENTY loud...

Here's my 215:

Peavey215D-BW005.

I replaced the original Black Widows with the Kappa LFAs as an experiment, because I already had 'em on hand, but they worked out so well that I'm keeping them in there... I use this cab in a rehearsal space on a regular basis, and always enjoy playing thru it, even though my other cabs are all pretty good...

- georgestrings

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Rigpics.

11. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I know you're the expert and everything, Bill - but I can tell you that I ONLY play rounds, and I can get as much mid as I want and then some with the cab I showed here... G-Ks have very powerful EQ sections, and between that and the Contour knob, I can cop any tone I want...

- georgestrings

12. Korladis

Oh yeah, not a criticism of the speakers themselves, just that's not really using them the way they're designed to be used.

13. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Perhaps, but they won't give as much mids as I want, by about an octave. As for what the OP considers adequate mids only the OP knows.

14. mcapote

mcapote

Sep 9, 2009
    Miami Florida
    bill wouldnt that driver work as long as you dont play above e6? I think it looses around 1300Hzish?

15. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Even E2 has harmonics that extend to well over 3kHz. I can live with a high end cutoff around 2.5kHz, but that's about it.

16. earsplit

earsplit

Dec 1, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I actually think I'm going to get this guy. I'm playing doom metal mind you, so those extra lows would be a huge plus. And, it would be running along side two 810s.

17. Korladis

Oh, well, you didn't mention THAT before, ha ha.