Need some quick help with amp comparisons

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Walbodiddy, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Hi, All.

I'm going to be purchasing a new amp head and possibly preamp soon. I'm just looking for a quick comparison of these setups, as my local music stores don't have what I'm looking for. These would be used to power a Goliath III 410 (4 ohm).

Eden WT-400 head (no preamp)

Ampeg SVT-11p preamp
    SWR 800 head

SWR SM-500 (no preamp)

Or if you have any suggestions for setups that would sound better with my Goliath III, I'd be glad to hear them.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    What type of sound are you hoping to achieve?

What type of music do you play, etc.?
  3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The heads you listed as "no preamp" have a preamp and amp in one package. Any bass head is configured in this manner. Or you can go with a separate preamp and power amp setup, but the "all in one" bass head is much easier to go with. There are many good bass heads that will serve you well. GK, SWR, Eden, EBS, Ampeg, are all quality gear. As mentioned we need a better idea of your style of music.
  4. Good point about the preamps being built in; I somewhat realized that, inutively... if the head didn't have a preamp, it wouldn't have tone controls... duh. :D

I didn't list the style of music, tone, etc., I was going for because I figured I would check the replies for the type of sound and choose one that complemented my style. For instance, if someone said the Ampeg/SWR setup was gritty without a lot of high-end clarity, I would stay away from it as clarity is very important to me. But I can see you'd prefer to know what I'm looking for in advance, so...

I prefer a tight, focused low end with a lot of growl, smooth mids, and clear, resonant highs. I hate mushy bass; it has to have punch. My major bass influences are Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm, and John Myung and I generally like their tones, though I really dislike Myung's distorted tone. I play a little bit of everything, from funky slap, growly blues and rock to dark jazz and, occasionally, swing and country.

I have had some limited experience with the SM-500 and liked it, though it seemed I had to set the bass knob to about 3/4 before I heard much of any. I also would've liked a little more character in the midrange; it was a bit sterile. I didn't have much time to mess with the settings, though, so these may not be issues when tweaked properly.

Reading what I want, I wouldn't be surprised if I get reccomendation for two or three separate rigs... hehe. I've only got the budget for one. Thanks again for any help.
  5. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    If you like to hear your mids as much as I do, you'd probably get along well with Eden's WT-400. One thing, though - you might want to replace the stock Eden tube with a 12AX7. Ever since I popped a Groove Tube into my WT-300, its been a dream come true!

:bassist: Good luck with your search!