1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some quick help with an essay topic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 17, 2006.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm beginning on my outline for a speech I have to do for my Oral Communications class, and I'm stumped on what to use as my main points. You know how you're always taught to use 3 or so prongs? The topic is the Westboro Baptist Church. You know, the radical church out of Topeka, KS? Well, I can't think of 3 main points. This is an informative speech, so it has to be unbias (yeah, I know). Help someone? I've got to get this done tonight. :help:

2. tr68gt

tr68gt Acme Corporation Beta Tester

Aug 2, 2006
    Naples, Florida
    Wow! What a topic. Well, might start with your intoduction (statement of what you are about to present), and if it has to be unbiased (yeah, right), just hit three of the churches main beliefs. This may help http://www.godhatesamerica.com/ghfmir/main/purpose.html
    Then your conclussion should be a short synopsis of what you just said (no new information)
    I hope this helps. Good Luck with this one dude.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Can you change topics?

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think he's looking for credible sources.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    God, I wish. I had to choose three topics and let the class choose which one. The class overwhelmingly chose this.

6. Open with an introduction to your topic, as discussed.

Why not approach it this way:

1st point: Church beliefs
    2nd point: Media portrayal of said church
    3rd point: How the difference between point 1 and point 2 has shaped the image of the church

Closing statement outlining your conclusions

All unbiased.

Good luck

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    That's actually a very good way, Peter. I don't know why I couldn't think of outside the box. I ended up going with

1. congregation.
    2. beliefs
    3. actions/media attention

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    When you're writing this kind of essay, or others similar, it's always good to stick to topics that are readily available. That is, you don't want to spend a lot of time researching a lot of junk that when you do find it, it might not be exactly what you're looking for. It sounds like you're on the right track, but this was a trick I used to get papers done fast.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Sounds like a good plan. FWIW, this was a really delicate/difficult topic for your class to choose to write an unbiased paper on. It's just wayyy too easy with a hot-button topic like that to get sucked into at least some subconscious biases even in an informative presentation. Best of luck!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021