Need Some Quick String Advice

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jesse Rosenburg, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Jesse Rosenburg

Jesse Rosenburg

Aug 12, 2009
    Colorado
    Just starting up playing again. I was classically trained when I was young, almost went to Julliard instead of pursuing a long and fruitful IT career. I mentioned elsewhere that my last bass master was the incomparable Georges Andre, who was also the best teacher! He had me interested in the operatic repertoire that I look forward to exploring again.

I have a cheap Kay, sounds OK. I'm a german bow hound. I keep on reading all your reviews on strings, and many of you mention matching up the bass to the strings, style, etc. So, I'm a bad girl and decided to ask for more targeted advice on my particular situation.

Oh yeah, I used to play on gut strings in my youth and never want to again.

I'm not going anywhere for a year, although I hope to find a baroque group somewhere to play with. I'm a baroque fiend.

I may end up in the market for a new instrument, sooner for a new bow.

So strings are mainly for practice right now, although I'm going to also be pulling out my large collection of sheet music so I'll also be my own soloist :smug:

Thanks. Glad I found this place. And I'm extra glad that the local music store didn't have a set of strings, as I think you guys will steer me in a better direction!

I've been thinking of Georges since yesterday when I decided the time was NOW. He was so kind. I most often just shlepped my bow around the NYC subways for lessons, where I was often asked if I was a pool shark. Playing on one of Georges' basses was a religious experience. Exploring the Met stage elevators and all was priceless. Shlepping the bass that my parents made me buy (it was cheap, I much prefer this Kay) in the subways for other gigs was always challenging.

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Thomastik BelCantos, IMHO.

3. Jesse Rosenburg

Jesse Rosenburg

Aug 12, 2009
    Colorado
    They look wonderful Salcott, thanks.

But are there any recommendations for under $150.

Having just retired, my husband (who is wonderful...without him I couldn't have afforded to do this at all) is a little sensitive to my spending.

And my horse is a very big one :smug:

4. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Jargar strings are usually under $150 and are good classical strings.

D'Addario Helicore orchestral strings are also good and are usually around $100 for a set.

Corelli 370 series are good, but are a little brighter, better for solo work than orchestral on my bass at least. They are around $125.

Also, there are often used strings for sale in the Talkbass classifieds.

5. i personally like permanents. i think you can still get them under 150 but i may be mistaken. haven't bought a set in a while. not a fan of the evahs or bel canto's personally, though i understand they are both quite popular. good luck!

6. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Speaking as someone with less than stellar bow technique, if I were to concentrate exclusively in that area, I would use the BelCantos. During the time I had them on my bass (plywood at that time), I found them very forgiving of my meagre chops. $150 doesn't seem out of line for a set of strings these days.

7. Jesse Rosenburg

Jesse Rosenburg

Aug 12, 2009
    Colorado
    Thanks Salcott. My bowing has always been one of my fortes, although it will take a while to regain that. In the spotty times I've played over the past 10-years, it's not been a big problem. I was taught articulation by some of the best. But I appreciate your candor.

I will look for used strings. That may be a good avenue.

Thanks all!

8. ya. Basically you should invest in bel cantos if you're serious about trying the best strings. They just smoke all competitors mentioned. Used set would be good. Felxocore is also one of the best by far. A guy on here just did a orchestra string comparison, very detailed.

9. Jesse Rosenburg

Jesse Rosenburg

Aug 12, 2009
    Colorado
    You've all convinced me. Invest in the Bel Cantos.

10. Downright_Low

Downright_Low

Feb 25, 2008
    Pirastro Obligato (what I have now) are about $130, as are Thomastik-Infeld Superflexible. Daddario Arco Helicore; Flexocors ('92) used; Corelli... Jargar (if you can get em)...

I have never tried an Innovation or Labella orchestral string:confused: but I would love to; some go very low even when new. I have heard good things about these two American companies, and guess they're cheaper for competition from other venerable companies...

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021